This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Drag Reduction Mechanisms Due to Moving Ground and Wheel Rotation in Passenger Cars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There are now several wind tunnel facilities within Europe for testing passenger cars with and without moving ground and rotating wheel conditions (henceforth abbreviated to MVG&RW conditions). Within these facilities, the drag of a car under MVG&RW conditions is typically less than the drag of a car under stationary ground and stationary wheel conditions. This drag difference has been found to vary from a decrease of about 25 drag counts to a small drag increase according to published sources. A drag reduction of 10 to 20 drag counts is more typical, however.
CitationElofsson, P. and Bannister, M., "Drag Reduction Mechanisms Due to Moving Ground and Wheel Rotation in Passenger Cars," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0531, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0531.
- Mercker E. Breuer N. Berneburg H. Emmelmann H.J. “On the Aerodynamic Interference Due to the Rolling Wheels of Passenger Cars” SAE Paper 910311 1991
- Wiedemann J. “The Influence of Ground Simulation and Wheel Rotation on Aerodynamic Drag Optimization – Potential for Reducing Fuel Consumption” SAE Paper 960672 1996
- Wickern G. Zwicker K. Pfadenhauer M. “Rotating Wheels – Their Impact on Wind Tunnel Test Techniques and on Vehicle Drag Results” SAE Paper 970133 1997
- Wickern G. Lindener N. “The Audi Aeroacoustic Wind Tunnel: Final Design and First Operational Experience” SAE 2000-01-0868 2000
- Le Good G.M. Howell J.P. Passmore M.A. Garry K.P. “On-Road Aerodynamic Drag Measurements Compared with Wind Tunnel Data” SAE Paper 950627 1995
- Le Good G.M. Howell J.P. Passmore M.A. Cogotti A. “A Comparison of On-Road Aerodynamic Drag Measurements with Wind Tunnel Data from Pininfarina and MIRA” SAE paper 980394 1998
- Morelli A. “A New Aerodynamic Approach to Advanced Automobile Basic Shapes” SAE 2000-01-0491 2000
- Cogotti A. “Ground Effect Simulation for Full-Scale Cars in the Pininfarina Wind Tunnel” SAE Paper 950996 1995
- Nilsson L. Berndtsson A. “The New Volvo Multipurpose Automotive Wind Tunnel” SAE Paper 870249 1987