This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Drag of a Compact SUV as Measured On-Road and in the Wind Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Growing concerns about the environmental impact of road vehicles will lead to a reduction in the aerodynamic drag for all passenger cars. This includes Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) and light trucks which have relatively high drag coefficients and large frontal area. The wind tunnel remains the tool of choice for the vehicle aerodynamicist, but it is important that the benefits obtained in the wind tunnel reflect improvements to the vehicle on the road. Coastdown measurements obtained using a Land Rover Freelander, in various configurations, have been made to determine aerodynamic drag and these have been compared with wind tunnel data for the same vehicle. Repeatability of the coastdown data, the effects of drag variation near to zero yaw and asymmetry in the drag-yaw data on the results from coastdown testing are assessed. Alternative blockage corrections for the wind tunnel measurements are examined. A reasonable correlation between wind tunnel and on-road aerodynamic drag data is established for the configurations tested.
CitationHowell, J., Sherwin, C., Passmore, M., and Le Good, G., "Aerodynamic Drag of a Compact SUV as Measured On-Road and in the Wind Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0529, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0529.
- Le Good G.M. Howell J.P. Passmore M.A. Cogotti A. A Comparison of On-Road Aerodynamic Drag Measurements with Wind Tunnel Data from Pininfarina and MIRA SAE Paper 980394 1998
- Mercker E. Soja H. Wiedemann J. Experimental Investigation on the Influence of Various Ground Simlation Techniques on a Passenger Car ‘Vehicle Aerodynamics’, R.Ae.S. Conference Loughborough University, UK 1994
- Cogotti A. Ground Effect Simulation for Full Scale Cars in the Pininfarina Wind Tunnel SAE Paper 950996 1995
- Buckley F.T. ABCD – An Improved Coast Down Test and Analysis Method SAE Paper 950626 1995
- Le Good G.M. Howell J.P. Passmore M.A. Garry K.P. On-Road Aerodynamic Drag Measurements Compared with Wind Tunnel Data SAE Paper 950627 1995
- Walter J.A. Pruess D.J. Romberg G.F. Coastdown/Wind Tunnel Drag Correlation and Uncertainty Analysis SAE Paper 2001-01-0630 2001
- Buckley F.T. Marks C.H. Walston W.H. Analysis of Coast-Down Data to Assess Aerodynamic Drag Reduction on Full-Scale Tractor-Trailer Trucks in Windy Environments SAE Paper 760850 1976
- Eaker G.W. Wind Tunnel-to-Road Aerodynamic Drag Correlation SAE Paper 880250 1988
- Passmore M.A. Le Good G.M. A Detailed Drag Study using the Coastdown Method SAE Paper 940420 1994
- Road Load Measurement Using On-Board Anemometry and Coastdown Techniques SAE Recommended Practice J2263 October 1996
- Mercker E. A Blockage Correction for Automotive Testing in a Closed Wind Tunnel 6th Colloquium on Industrial Aerodynamics Aachen June 1985
- Mercker E. Wiedemann J. On the Correction of Interference Effects in Open Jet Wind Tunnels SAE Paper 960671 1996
- Wickern G. On the Application of Classical Wind Tunnel Corrections for Automotive Bodies SAE Paper 2001-01-0633 2001