This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Multiple Injection Strategies on Emissions, Combustion Noise and BSFC of a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High pressure common-rail injection systems nowadays allow a very high degree of flexibility in the timing and quantity control of multiple injections, which can be used to obtain significant reductions in engine noise and emissions.
The aim of this study is to develop a better understanding of the relationship between injection strategies and the combustion and emission formation process.
Some multiple injection strategies (pilot-pilot-main and pilot-main-after) have therefore been analyzed to highlight their influence on soot, NOx, combustion noise and bsfc (brake specific fuel consumption) on a passenger car DI Diesel engine prototype.
One operating point (2000×2 rpm/bar) was analyzed for the pilot-pilot-main injection strategy while two operating points (1500×5 and 2500×8 rpm/bar) were tested for the pilot-main-after injection strategy.
Finally the main combustion characteristics were determined, for each operating condition, on the basis of the heat release and a correlation was attempted between the combustion parameters and emissions, noise and bsfc.
CitationBadami, M., Mallamo, F., Millo, F., and Rossi, E., "Influence of Multiple Injection Strategies on Emissions, Combustion Noise and BSFC of a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0503, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0503.
- Morello, L. Martinez, P. “FIAT High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine for Application on Passenger Cars” SAE Paper 890460 1989
- Stock, D. “The New Audi - 5 Cylinder Turbo Diesel Engine: The First Passenger Car Diesel Engine with Second Generation Direct Injection” SAE Paper 900648 1990
- Walsh, M. P. “Global Trends in Diesel Emission Regulation - A 2001 Update” SAE Paper 2001-01-0183 2001
- Johnson, V. T. “Diesel Emission Control in Rewiev” SAE Paper 2001-01-0184 2001
- Rinolfi, R. Imarisio, R. “The Potentials of Third Generation Direct Injection Diesel Engines for Passenger Cars” Engine and Environment International Congress AVL List GmbH Graz September 1997
- Rinolfi, R. Imarisio, R. Buratti, R. “The Potential of a New Common Rail Diesel Fuel Injection Sistem for the next Generation of DI Diesel Engines” 16 Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium VDI - Verlag Reihe 12 239
- Ceronetti, G. F. Imarisio, R. Stroppiana, B. “Control Strategies and Design Modifications for Exhaust Emission Reduction in Direct Injection Diesel Engines” FISITA Paper 905074 1990
- Piccone, A. Rinolfi, R. “FIAT Third Generation DI Diesel Engines” IMECHE-Ricardo, Seminar “The Euro 4 Challenge - Future Technologies and System” London December 1997
- Badami, M. Millo, F. D'Amato, D. D. “Experimental Investigation on Soot and NO x Formation in a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine with Pilot Injection” SAE Paper 2001-01-0657 2001
- Durnholz, M. Endres, H. Frisse P. “Preinjection: A measure to Optimize Emission Behavior of DI-Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 940674 1994
- Augustin, U. Schwarz, V. “Low-Noise Combustion With Pilot Injection” Truck Technology International 1991
- Tow, T. C. Pierpont D. A. Reitz R. D. “Reducing Particulate and NO x Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 940897 1994
- Nehmer, D. A. Reitz R. D. “Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injections on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions” SAE Paper 940668 1994
- Pierpont, D. A. Montgomery, D.T. Reitz, R. D. “Reducing Particulate and NO x Using Multiple Injections and EGR in a D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 950217 1995
- Zelenka, P. Egert, M. Cartellieri, W. “Ways to Meet Future Emission Standards with Diesel Engine Powered Sport Utility Vehicles (SUV)” SAE Paper 2000-01-0181 2000
- Han, Z. Uludogan, A. Hampson, G.J. Reitz, R. D. “Mechanism of Soot and NO x Emission Reduction Using Multiple-Injection in a Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 960633 1996
- Benajes, J. Molina, S. Garcìa, J. M. “Influence of Pre- and Post-Injection on the Performance and Pollutant Emissions in a HD Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-0526 2001
- Jianwen, Li Chae Jae Ou Lee, S. M. Jeong, J. S. “Modeling the Effects of Split Injection Scheme on Soot and NO Emissions of Direct Injection Diesel Engines by a Phenomenological Combustion Model” SAE Paper 962062 1996
- Yokota, H. Kudo, Y. Nakajima, H. Kakegawa, T. Suzuki, T. “A New Concept for low Emission Diesel Combustion” SAE Paper 970891 1997
- Heywood, J. B. “ Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals ” McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York 1988
- Morel, T. Keribar, R. “Heat Radiation in D.I. Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 860445 1986
- Yoshizaki, T. Nishida, K. Hiroyasu, H. “Approach to Low NOx and Smoke Emission Engines by Using Phenomenological Simulation” SAE Paper 930612 1993
- Morel, T. Wahiduzzaman, S. “Modeling of Diesel Combustione and Emissions” XXVI FISITA Congress 1996
- Bianchi, G. M. Pelloni, P. Corcione, F. E. Luppino, F. “Numerical Analysis of Passenger Car HSDI Diesel Engines with the 2 nd Generation of Common Rail Injection Systems: The Effect of Multiple Injections on Emissions” SAE Paper 2001-01-1068 2001
- Ishida, M. Hironobu, U. Matsumura, N. Yamaguchi, Luo, G. “Diesel Combustion Analysis Based on Two-Zone Model (Comparison between Model Analysis and Experiment)” JSME International Journal 39 1 1996