This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stronger Material for Cold-Formed Coil Springs Used in Automotive Suspensions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hot-formed coil spring material (SUP 190) has been developed in order to achieve weight reduction and corrosion fatigue strength and is currently used from the viewpoint of environmental protections(1). In the meanwhile, we have further developed a means of applying a high frequency induction heat treatment to the hot-formed coil spring material to create cold-formed coil spring material with features such as excellent formability and high shape freedom, as well as corrosion fatigue strength.
Consequently, a weight reduction of approximately 20% can be achieved in comparison with cold-formed coil springs using SAE 9254, which has been used up to this point.
CitationYoshikawa, H., Sakakibara, T., and Wakita, M., "Stronger Material for Cold-Formed Coil Springs Used in Automotive Suspensions," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0370, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0370.
- Nakano T. et al. “Development of High-Strength Suspension Coil Springs which Corrosion Fatigue Strength is important” SAE TECHNICAL PAPER SERIES ( 2000-01-0616 )
- Seto Y. et al. “Properties of Induction Heat-treated High Strength Spring Wire” Transactions of Japan Society for Spring Research 46 2001 28 34
- Kawasaki et al. “Recent Trends on Induction Heat Treatment” Journal of The Japan Society for Heat Treatment 39 1999 142 151
- Kawasaki K. et al. “Effect of Austenite Grain Size on Mechanical Properties in Spring Steel Austenized Quenched and Tempered by induction Heating” Tetsu-to-Hagane 16 1973 2298 2305
- Izumi O. et al “Tekkouzairyou” The Japan Institute of Metals” 1985
- Orlich J. “Atras zur Wärmebehandlung der Sätle”,Band 3,4 Verlag Stahleisen M.B.H. 1973 1974
- Kawasaki K. et al. “Austenitization of Steel by Short Time Heating” The Japan Society for Heat Treatment 20 1980 281 288
- Urita T. et al. “Kyuusokukanetsuhentaishita tyuutansokouno syotokusei” Transformation Behavior of Steels 1989 96 113
- Akatsu H. et al. “Effect of Pre-Heat-Treated Structure on Tiime-Temperature-Austenitization Diagrams of Carbon Steel” Journal of The Japan Institute of Metals 30 1966 200 206
- Kawasaki K. et al. “Induction Heating Quenched and Tempered High Strength Steel Wire and Rod” Feramu 5 2000 38 44
- Sakakibara T. et al. “Development of a New Light-Weight Suspension Coil Spring” SAE TECHNICAL PAPER SERIES ( 930263 )
- Gotou T. et al. “Optimization of Force Action Line with New Spring Design on the Macpherson Strut Suspension for Riding comfort” SAE TECHNICAL PAPER SERIES ( 2000-01-0101 )