This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reinventing the Internal Combustion (IC) Engine Head and Exhaust Gaskets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes how a blend of silicon polymers, mixed with the right combination of fillers, enables the production of durable rubber IC engine head and exhaust gaskets. The resin blend, when mixed with glass fiber reinforcement, produces a liquid sealant suitable for exhaust gasket applications. The exhaust sealant and laminate head gaskets were tested on Ford 460 truck engines at Jasper Engine Company and completed more than 5,000 hours of durability testing without incident.
Fabric reinforced polymer (FRP) head and exhaust gaskets can be laser cut from molded laminates, creating a ceramic glass-sealed edge. Thermogravimetric scans of typical gasket laminate material reveal an 88%-yield at 1000°C.
FRP head gaskets also enable the cost-effective production of multiple spark ignition (MSI) head gaskets.
|Technical Paper||Thermal Spray Preforms: An Economical Route to SRIM Composites|
|Technical Paper||Alternatives to Asbestos in Cylinder Head Gaskets|
|Aerospace Standard||Application of Direct Pressure to Resin in Curing of Epoxy and Addition Type Polyimides|
CitationClarke, W., Clarke, W., Azzazy, M., and West, R., "Reinventing the Internal Combustion (IC) Engine Head and Exhaust Gaskets," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0332, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0332.
- Clarke, William A. Multiple Spark Ignition Gasket December 19 2000
- Chojnowski, J. Cpryk, M. “Synthesis of Linear Polysiloxanes” Silicon Containing Polymers Jones R.G. Ando W. Chojnowski J. Kluwer Dordrecht, Netherlands 2000 3 41
- Wynne, K.J. Rice, R.W. Annual Review of Material Science 1984 14 297
- Rice, R.W. American Ceramic Society Bulletin 1983 62 889
- Rice, R.W. Chem. Tech. 1983 230
- Zeldin, M. Wynne, K. Allcock, H. Inorganic and Organo-metallic Polymers Washington DC American Chemical Society 1988 43
- Clarke, William A. High Temperature Silicon Sealant July 25 2000
- Nakamura, N Baika, T. Shibata, Y. “Multipoint Spark Ignition for Lean Combustion,” Toyota Motor Corporation SAE Paper 852092 October 1985
- Birch, S. Yamaguchi, J Demmler, A. Jost, K. “Mazda's Multi-plug Lean-burn Engine” Technical Briefs Automotive Engineering October 1992
- Clarke, William A. Boron Nitride Catalyzed Polysiloxane Resin Blend and Composite Products Formed Therefrom February 6 2001
- Sparking Gasket System (SGS) Aura Systems, Inc. February 1996 SAE Exposition Detroit, Michigan