This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Rubber Seats on Coil Spring Force Line
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Finite element analysis of suspension coil springs is standard practice for investigating spring behavior during compression. One increasingly important aspect of spring behavior under recent demand is precise control of the spring's force line. Proper control reduces side loading on the damper assembly, which increases ride comfort. The force line is the reaction force axis produced by a coil spring and its interaction with the spring seats during compression. Not only does the geometric configuration of the spring and seats affect the force line, but it has also been seen experimentally that the spring seat material has an effect. Elastomeric materials such as rubber are used in spring assemblies to reduce noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH), but their influence to spring force line axis has yet to be investigated. The construction and results of several finite element simulations will be presented, correlating various configurations and experimental data. The effect of using rubber in coil spring seats will be outlined.
|Technical Paper||NC Control Point Estimator for Shape-Controlled Coil Spring|
|Technical Paper||New Technology of Manufacturing for Coil Springs Used in Automotive Suspensions|
|Technical Paper||Modeling of Coil Springs Using Parallel Mechanisms|
CitationNishizawa, S., Ikeda, M., Logsdon, J., Enomoto, H. et al., "The Effect of Rubber Seats on Coil Spring Force Line," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0317, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0317.
- Hamano, Toshio et al. “Development of L-Shape Coil Spring to Reduce a Friction on the McPherson Strut Suspension System.” SAE Technical Paper Series 2001-01-0497 2001
- Wunsh, Thomas et al. “Side Load Spring as a Solution to Minimize Adverse Side Loads Acting on the McPherson Strut.” SAE Technical Paper Series 940862 1994
- Hamano, Tosio Tachikawa Tosihiro “Analysis of Coil Spring using the Finite Element Method with a Joint Element.” JSAE Technical Paper Series 912203 1991
- Sato, Naoshi et al. “Finite Element Analysis of Sideforce on Coil Springs.” Technical Reports of JSSR Meeting June 1995
- MSC.Software Corporation “MSC.Marc Volume C: Program Input, Version 2001.” Santa Ana, Calf. MSC.Software Corp. 2001
- MSC.Software Corporation “MSC.Marc Volume A: Theory and User Information, Version 2001.” Santa Ana, Calf. MSC.Software Corp. 2001