This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CAE Weld Durability Prediction: A Robust Single Damage Parameter Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recent rapid advances in mesh-insensitive structural stress procedures are summarized in this report. In addition to their effectiveness in reliably calculating structural stresses for both simple weld details and complex structures, the mesh-insensitive structural stress procedure provides an effective mean for drastically simplifying stress intensity factor solutions for welded joints, by extending the structural stress definition for characterizing notch effects at welds. The results achieved so far and significant implications are summarized below:
- (1)The mesh-insensitive structural stresses can be consistently related to fatigue behavior in welded joints and the calculation methods can be readily implemented as processing procedures
- (2)As a stress based transformation process, the mesh-insensitive structural stress methods map complex 3D geometry and loading mode to a simple strip geometry subjected to a simple structural stress state. Consequently, a simple stress intensity factor solution technique can be developed using an existing reference solution.
- (3)The structural stresses can be used to formulate an effective fatigue damage parameter such as stress intensity based parameter so that it now becomes feasible to establish a single damage curve to fully describe the existing multiple S-N curve behaviors in classification approach or hot spot stress approach.
CitationDong, P. and Hong, J., "CAE Weld Durability Prediction: A Robust Single Damage Parameter Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0151, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0151.
- Hobbacher, A. “Fatigue Design of Welded Joints and Components: Recommendations of IIW Joint Working Group XIII-XV Abington Publishing Abington, Cambridge 1996
- Hobbacher, A. “Basic Philosophy of the New IIW Recommendations on Fatigue Design of Welded Joints and Components,” Welding in the World 39 5 1997 272 278
- “Code of Practice for Fatigue Design and Assessment of Steel Structures,” British Standards Institution 1993
- “Design of Steel Structures - Part 1-1” European Committee for Standardization Brussels 1992
- Radaj, D. “Review of Fatigue Strength Assessment of Non-Welded and Welded Structures Based on Local Parameters,” Int. Journal of Fatigue 18 3 1996 153 70
- Lawrence, F.V. Mattos, R.J. Higashida, Y. Burk, J.D. “Estimating the Fatigue Crack Initiation Life of Welds,” ASTM STP 648 134 158 1978
- “Stress Determination for Fatigue Analysis of Welded Components” Abington Publishing Abington Cambridge 1993
- Niemi, E. “Recommendations Concerning Stress Determination for Fatigue Analysis of Welded Components” 1992
- Niemi, E Tanskanen, P. “Hot Spot Stress Determination for Welded Edge Gussets,” 1999
- Dong, P. Zhang, J. Hong, J.K. Structural Stress Calculation Scheme 2000
- Dong, P. “A Robust Structural Stress Procedure for Characterizing Fatigue Behavior of Welded Joints,” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-0086 in Fatigue and Failure of Spot Welds and Weld Joints (SP-1621) SAE Warrendale, PA, U.S.A. 2001
- Dong, P. “A Structural Stress Definition and Numerical Implementation for Characterizing Fatigue Behavior of Welded Joints,” International Journal of Fatigue 23 10 865 876 2001
- Dong, P. Hong, J.K. Cao “Structural Stress at Notches and Effects on Fatigue,” February 2001
- Dong, P. Hong, J.K. Cao “A New Mesh-Insensitive Procedure for Characterizing Stress Concentration at Welds,” Proceedings of ASME PVP Conference Atlanta, Georgia July 2001
- Dong, P. Hong, J.K. “Residual Stresses, Notch Stresses, and Stress Intensities at Welds: A Unified Assessment Procedure with Self-Consistency,” Proceedings of 16 th International Conference in Reactor Technology (SmiRT 16) Washington, DC August 2001
- Dong, P. Hong, J.K. “A Master S-N Curve Approach for Fatigue Prediction of Welded Joints,”
- Dong, P. Hong, H.K. “A Mesh-Insensitive Structural Stress Procedure for Fatigue Evaluation of Welded Structures,” International Institute of Welding Document, No. IIW/IIS Doc. XIII-1902-01/XV-1089-01 July 2001