This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
HCCI Combustion of Hydrogen, Carbon Monoxide and Dimethyl Ether
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) combustion enables higher thermal efficiency and lower NOx emission to be achieved in internal combustion engines when compared with conventional combustion systems. Control of proportion of high cetane number and low cetane number fuels is an effective technique for controlling ignition timing and load in HCCI combustion.
The aim of this paper is to analyze the characteristics of the HCCI combustion of hydrogen, carbon monoxide and dimethyl ether (DME) in a single cylinder engine. A mixture of hydrogen and carbon monoxide with a composition of 67% hydrogen and 33% carbon monoxide called methanol-reformed gas (MRG) was used as the low cetane number fuel and DME as the high cetane number fuel. Both MRG and DME can be reformed from methanol in endothermic reactions. The endothermic reactions make waste heat recovery in fuel reforming possible by using the heat from the exhaust gases. Experiments were conducted in which the proportion of the fuels, equivalence ratio and compression ratio were varied to control ignition timing.
The results show that the HCCI combustion of hydrogen, carbon monoxide and dimethyl ether has a high thermal efficiency over a wide operating range. HCCI combustion has a high power output that is comparable to that of SI combustion despite lean combustion conditions, because of the high thermal efficiency.
CitationShudo, T. and Ono, Y., "HCCI Combustion of Hydrogen, Carbon Monoxide and Dimethyl Ether," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0112, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0112.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Combustion 2002
Number: SP-1688; Published: 2002-03-04
Number: SP-1688; Published: 2002-03-04
- Furutani, T. et al. “A New Concept of Ultra-Lean Premixed Compression Ignition Engine” Proceedings of the 12 th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium 45 1980
- Murayama, T. et al. “A Study of Compression Ignition Methanol Engine with Converted Dimethyl Ether as an Ignition Improver” SAE Paper 922212 1992
- Sorenson, S.C. et al. “Performance and Emissions of a 0.273 Liter Direct Injection Diesel Engine Fuelled with Neat Dimethyl Ether” SAE Paper 950064 1995
- Kajitani, S. et al. “Engine Performance and Exhaust Characteristics of Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Operated with DME” SAE Paper 972973 1997
- Igarashi, T. et al. “Auto Ignition and Combustion of DME and n-Butane/Air Mixtures in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine” Transaction of JSME 64 618 1998
- Suzuki, T. et al. “Combustion Characteristics of Compression Ignited Engine with DME Low-Pressure Fuel Injection” Proceedings of JSAE 74-99 1999
- Chen, Z. et al. “Study on Homogeneous Premixed Charge CI Engine Fueled with LPG” Proceedings of JSAE 38-00 2000
- Konno, M. et al. “The Unburned Emissions from a CI Engine Operated with Dimethyl Ether” Transaction of JSME 67 659 2000
- List, H. Thermodynamik der Verbrennungskraftmaschinen Springer 1939
- Shudo, T. et al. “Analysis of Thermal Efficiency in a Hydrogen Premixed Spark Ignition Engine” Proceedings of ASME 39 1999
- Shudo, T. et al. “Analysis of Degree of Constant Volume and Cooling Loss in a Hydrogen Fuelled SI Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-3561 2001
- Shudo, T. et al. “Analysis of the Degree of Constant Volume and Cooling Loss in a Spark Ignition Engine fuelled with Hydrogen” I Mech E International Journal of Engine Research 2 1 2001
- Shudo, T. et al. “Influence of Specific Heats on Indicator Diagram Analysis in a Hydrogen-fuelled SI Engine” Elsevier JSAE Review 22 2 2001
- Shudo, T. et al. “Combustion Analysis in a Hydrogen-Fueled Engine with Indicator Diagram” Transaction of JSME 67 654 2001
- Shudo, T. et al. “Combustion Characteristics of H 2 -CO-CO 2 Mixture in an IC Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-0252 2001
- Shudo, T. et al. “Combustion and Cooling Loss of H 2 -CO-CO 2 Mixture Reformed from Methanol” Transaction of JSAE 32 4 2001
- Shudo, T. et al. “Characteristics of an Internal Combustion Engine Fueled with Hydrogen Carbon Monoxide Mixture” Transaction of JSAE 31 4 2000
- Shudo, T. et al. “Combustion Characteristics of Pyrolysis Gas of Automobile Shredder Dust in an IC Engine” Proceedings of the 8th European Automotive Congress, SAITS 01002 2001
- Shudo, T. et al. “Analysis of Direct Injection Spark Ignition Combustion in Hydrogen Lean Mixture” International Journal of Automotive Technology 2 3 2001
- Shudo, T. et al. “Combustion and Emissions in a Methane DI Stratified Charge Engine with Hydrogen Premixing” Elsevier JSAE Review 21 1 2000
- Shudo, T. et al. “Combustion Promotion and Cooling Loss in Hydrogen Premixing to Methane DI Stratified Charge Combustion” Transaction of JSAE 32 1 2001
- Tanford, C. et al. “Equilibrium Atom and Free Radical Concentrations in Carbon Monoxide Flames and Correlation with Burning Velocities” Journal of Chemical Physics 15 7 1947
- Lewis, B. et al. “Combustion, Flames and Explosion of Gases” Academic Press 1961