This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Production and Die Casting of Semi-Solid Magnesium Alloy AZ91D
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Semi-solid forming is a relatively new process whereby an alloy with thixotropic characteristics at a temperature between solidus and liquidus is cast into a component in a mould. This technology is based on research originally carried out at MIT in the 1970s on rheological properties of semi-solid metals subjected to mechanical stirring. By not starting with a super-heated melt as in conventional liquid pressure die casting, semi-solid processing offers distinct advantages such as low cycle time, less porosity because of non-turbulent flow, improved die life and significantly better mechanical properties.
The success or failure in the production of a component largely depends on the temperature uniformity and microstructural homogeneity of the semi-solid thixotropic feedstock prior to injection. This paper describes results of work related to the preparation of AZ91D feedstock by electro-magnetic stirring combined with superheat reduction, reheating of this material to the thixotropic state by induction and semi-solid die casting a number of complex box-like components. The reheating was carried out in a single induction coil programmed to provide variable power input such that a low temperature gradient and a minimal liquid metal segregation in the billet feedstock were realized. The microstructure was monitored throughout the processing to achieve the desired semi-solid microstructure for successful die casting. The optimal casting parameters (metal temperature, ram velocity and metal pressure) for die casting the box-like components are given.
- C. A. Loong - Industrial Materials Institute, National Research Council Canada
- C-Q Zheng - Industrial Materials Institute, National Research Council Canada
- M. T. Shehata - Materials Technology Laboratory/CANMET, Natural Resources Canada
- V. Kao - Materials Technology Laboratory/CANMET, Natural Resources Canada
- E. Essadiqi - Materials Technology Laboratory/CANMET, Natural Resources Canada
CitationShehata, M., Kao, V., Essadiqi, E., Loong, C. et al., "Production and Die Casting of Semi-Solid Magnesium Alloy AZ91D," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0082, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0082.
SAE 2002 Transactions Journal of Materials & Manufacturing
Number: V111-5; Published: 2003-09-15
Number: V111-5; Published: 2003-09-15
- Flemings M.C. “Behavior of Metal Alloys in the Semi-Solid State,” Metallurgical Transaction A22 952 981 May 1991
- Young K.P. Fitze R. “Semi-Solid Metal Cast Aluminum Automotive Components,” 3 rd Int'l Conf. on Semi-Solid Processing of Alloys and Composites 155 177 1994
- Young K.P. “Recent Advances in Semi-Solid Metal (SSM) Cast Aluminium and Magnesium Components,” 4 th International Conference on Semi-Solid Processing of Alloys and Composites 229 233 1996
- Young K. Eisen P. “SSM (Semi-Solid Metal) Technological Alternatives For Different Applications,” 6 th Int'l Conf. on Semi-Solid Processing of Alloys and Composites 97 102 2000
- Walukas D. LeBeau S. Prewitt N. Decker R. “Thixomolding Technology Opportunities and Practical Uses,” 6 th Int'l Conf. on Semi-Solid Processing of Alloys and Composites 109 120 2000
- Hirt G. Cremer R. Winkelmann A. Witulski T. Zillgen M. 3 th Int. Conf. Semi-Solid Processing of Alloys and Composites Tokyo, Japan September 1994 107 116
- Zoqui E. J. Shehata M. T. Paes M. Kao V. Es-Sadiqi E. Journal of Materials Science and Engineering A January 2001
- Liaw J-W. Chen T-F. Loong C.A. Zheng C-Q. Raducanu P. Nguyen K.T. Jen C.K. “Theoretical Modeling and Experimental Verification of Induction Heating of Semi-Solid Billets,” 6 th Int'l Conf. on Semi-Solid Processing of Alloys and Composites 571 577 2000
- Shahani H. Shahani M. “Resonance Switching Power Supply,” 1998
- Bennett F. C Leontis T.E. Couling S.L. Proceeding International Magnesium Association, 34 th Annual Meeting Columbus, Ohio May 1977 23 29