This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control of NOx and CO in S I Engine Exhaust using Cu-Ion Exchange ZSM-5 with impregnation of Platinum and Palladium
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2001 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2001
The most efficient gas after treatment system envisages the use of Catalytic Converter for oxidizing Carbon monoxide (CO), and reducing the oxides of Nitrogen (NOx). The exhaust is made to pass through a catalytic bed which catalyses the conversion reactions for the different exhaust gas components.
The Cu-Ion exchanged ZSM-5 Zeolite Catalysts are processed with the impregnation of 0.1% Platinum and 0.1% Palladium in a pellet form 1.5 mm diameter are placed in a catalytic converter for the reduction of CO and NOx. The combination of catalyst exhibits significant NOx reduction for a lean air fuel ratio 17.5 and conversion system tested in a commercial Maruti (800 cc) S I engine and some encouraging results are obtained. Maximum conversion efficiencies achieved with Cu-ZSM-5 are 87% NOx at 440°C and 76% of CO at 450°C.
The design and fabrication of the converter is such that it consists of two parts, namely, casing and catalyst cartridge.
Back pressure developed across the catalytic bed is found to be well within the acceptable limits and power loss due to the back pressure is only 0.25%.
CitationGhosh, B., Ramanujam, S., Ghosh, P., Roy, P. et al., "Control of NOx and CO in S I Engine Exhaust using Cu-Ion Exchange ZSM-5 with impregnation of Platinum and Palladium," SAE Technical Paper 2001-28-0042, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-28-0042.
- Meisel, S.L., Mc. Cullough, J.P., Leachthalev, C.H. and Weisz, P.B., Gasoline from methanol in one step'Chemtech., 6 (1976) pp86-89.
- Kotasthane, A.N., Hegde, S.G., and Bala krishnan, I., Presented at 8th national symposium on catalysis, Sindri, 12-14 Dec 1987, Published in Challenges in catalysis Science and Technology’ Edited by NaiduS.R. and BanerjeeB.K., Vol.1,1987,pp234-242.
- Chen, N.Y., Kaeding, W.W. and Dwyer, F.G.,‘Para-directed aromatic reactions over shape-selective molecular sieve zeolite catalysts’, J.Am.. Chem. Soc., 101 (1979) pp6783-4.
- Chen, N.Y., Miale, J.N. and Reagan, W.J., ‘Zeolites’ CA. 90,1979,P89861; U.S. 4,1123,056 (CI.422-329; C01b33/28), 05 Sept 1978, Appl. 792,741, 02 May 1977; 8pp.
- Kaeding, W.W., Young, L.B.,‘Di-alkylbenzene isomer mixtures’ CA., 90, 1979, P186553u; U.S. 4,143,084 (CI. 260-671R: C07C3/52), 06 March 1979, Appl 706,981, 19 Jul 1976, 10pp.
- Chen, N.Y., Reagan, W.J.,‘Conversion of ethylbenzene to p-xylene’ CA., 90, 1979, P6062b; U.S. 4,101,595 (CI, 260-668A;C07 C5/24) 18 Jul 1978, Appl 793,017, 02 May 1977, 13pp.
- Shriver, D.F., and Atkins, P.W., ‘Inorganic Chemistry’ 3rd edition, Oxford 1999, p608.
- Konno, M., et al, ‘Catalytic reduction of NOx in actual diesel engine exhaust’,SAE, vol101, see4, paper no. 920091, 1992,pp 11-18.
- Cho., B.K., ‘Nitric oxide reduction by hydrocarbons over Cu-ZSM-% monolith catalyst under lean conditions: steady state kinetics’ J. Catal., No. 142, 1993, pp 418-429.
- Iwamato, M., and Mizumo, N., ‘NOx emission control in oxygen-rich exhaust through selective catalytic reduction by hydrocarbon, Proc, of The Institution of Mechanica Engineers, J. of Automobile Engg., Vol. 207, Part D, 1993 pp23-33 and references therein.
- Lu., H., Pradier, C-M., and Flodstrom, A.S., ‘Catalytic reduction of nitric oxide on copper’ Part I, J.Mol.catal., 112 (1996) pp 447-457.
- Ghosh, B.B., Santra, P.K., Ghosh, P.P., Banerjee, T., Ghosh, A., and Ramanujam, S., ‘Catalytic reduction of SI engine emissions using Cu-ion exchange ZSM-5’ SAE paper no. 2001-01-0013, P227-231, 2001.
- Edited by Parry, R.W., “Inorganic Synthesis”, (Mc.Graw Hill, New York),Vol. 12, 1970, P7.
- Sinfelt, J.H., ‘Bimetallic catalysts-discoveries, concepts and application’ (Johnwiley & sons, New York)1983, p131.
- Shriver, D.F., and Atkins, P.W., ‘Inorganic Chemistry’ 3rd edition, Oxford 1999, p602.
- Nag Pratyush, Ghosh B. B, Das Randip K. and Gupta Maya Dutta, ‘NOx Reduction in S I Engine Exhaust Using Selective Catalytic Reduction Technique’, SAE paper no. 980935, pp.153-156, 1998.
- Ghosh B. B. and Das Randip K., ‘Catalytic Reduction of S.I.Engine Emissions Using Ion-Exchanged X-Exchanged X-Zeolites” SAE paper no. 990015, pp. 201-20