This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flow Field Behind the Flame Holders in an Isothermal Model of an Afterburner - A Theoretical Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2001 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2001
The flow in a gas turbine afterburner is highly complex since it is three dimensional and turbulent with major design requirements depending to a greater extent on the internal aerodynamics. The aim of this work is to carry out flow field analysis in an isothermal model of an afterburner using a computational fluid dynamics method. The calculations are performed using SIMPLE (Semi Implicit Method for Pressure Linked Equations) based algorithm with unstructured grid arrangement. The standard k-ε model is used for turbulence modeling.
The three-dimensional velocities and turbulent kinetic energy have been predicted for the model afterburner and the flow field predictions agree satisfactorily well with the measurements. The velocity vector plots drawn along different longitudinal and cross sectional planes provide a wealth of information for different representative cases of afterburners. This will be helpful in understanding and estimating the multitude of parameters used in the afterburner design. The package used for the flow is FLUENT. This computer code is concerned with the numerical simulation of fluid flow, heat transfer, combustion and related phenomenon, which occur in engineering equipment and processes. Fluent code has a preprocessor, a solver and a post processor. It has capabilities for incorporating various turbulence models such as standard k-ε model, RNG model etc.
In view of the close agreement between the predicted and experimental results it can be concluded that the present study can be effectively utilized in optimizing the design of aircraft afterburners.
- Praphull S Lal - Internal Combustion Engines Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai 600 036, India
- V Ganesan - Internal Combustion Engines Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai 600 036, India
CitationLal, P. and Ganesan, V., "Flow Field Behind the Flame Holders in an Isothermal Model of an Afterburner - A Theoretical Study," SAE Technical Paper 2001-28-0024, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-28-0024.
- Ballal. D.R Lefebvre. A.H Weak extinction limits of turbulent flowing mixtures Journal of Enginnering and Power 101 343 348 1979
- Ganesan. V Numerical compuatation of turbulent flow behind a conical baffle Indian Journal of Technology 18 447 450 1980
- Lixing Zhou Jian Zhang Numerical Modeling of Turbulent Evaporating Gas Droplet Two Phase Flows in an Afterburner Diffuser of Turbo Fan and Jet Engines Chinese Journal of Aeronautics 3 258 265 1990
- Ravichandran, M Ganesan. V Numerical Analysis of Two Ring Flame stabilizer Flows in Turbo Jet Afterburners International Journal of Numerical Heat Transfer 28 1 85 101 1995
- Raffoul. C.N Nejad. A.S Gould. R.D Spring. S.A An experimental and numerical study of the isothermal flow behind a bluff body flame holder Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 119 328 339 1997
- Cadiou. A Experimental method for combustion effieciency calculation in a reheat duct Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 110 690 694 1988
- Chigier. N.A Gilbert. J.L Recirculation eddies in the wake of flameholders J.Inst.Fuel 41 105 1968
- Lefebvre. A.H A method for predicting the aerodynamic blockage of bluff bodies in a ducted airstream College of Aeronautics Cranifield, England 1965
- Branstetter. J.R Reck. G.M Afterburner performance of circular V-gutters for a range of inlet temperatures to 1255K 1973
- Durao. D.F.G Whitelaw. J.H Velocity characteristics of the flow in the near wake of a disk J.Fluid.Mech 85 369 385 1978
- Elgobashi. S Pratt. D.T Spalding. D.B Srivatsa. S.K Unsteady combustion of fuel spray in jet engine afterburners Proc.3 rd Int. Symp. Air Breathing engines 447 471 1977
- Ravichandran M Experimental and Theoretical Investigation of Afterburners PhD Thesis 1993 IC Engine Laboratory IIT Madras