This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Determination of Knock in Gas SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2001 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2001
Determination of knock start for any engine tuning remains a difficult work for many engine manufacturers. This study investigates different combinations of existing knock indices in order to produce an upgraded indicator easier to calibrate. Experiments were conducted on a single-cylinder gas engine bounded to combined heat and power (CHP). Effects of spark advance, volumetric efficiency and equivalent ratio are studied under constant speed operation. The ratio IMPO / MAPO (with IMPO defined as the Integral of Modulus of Pressure Oscillation and MAPO as the Maximum Amplitude of Pressure Oscillation) is proposed as a suitable indicator. In any engine setting, it remains constant under non knocking conditions. When knock occurs, a model deduced from dimensionless analysis allows to determine the oversteps of Knock Limited Spark Timing from IMPO / MAPO measurements with an accuracy lower than 1 CA.
CitationBrecq, G., Bellettre, J., and Tazerout, M., "Experimental Determination of Knock in Gas SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-28-0022, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-28-0022.
- Checkel M.D. Dale J.D. Computerized Knock Detection from Engine Pressure Records SAE paper , No 860028 1986
- Kalghati G.T. Golombok M. Snowdon P. Fuel Effects on Knock, Heat Release and “CARS” Temperatures in a Spark Ignition Engine Combustion Sciences and Technology 110-111 209 228 1995
- Puzinauskas P.V. Examination of Methods Used to Characterize Engine Knock SAE paper , No 920808 1992
- Millo F. Ferraro C.V. Knock in S.I. Engines: a Comparison between Different Techniques for Detection and Control SAE paper , No 982477 1998
- Diana S. Gilio V. Iorio B. Police G. Evaluation of the Effect of EGR on Engine Knock SAE paper , No 982479 1998
- Zhou G. Karim G.A. An Analytical Examination of Various Criteria for Defining Autoignition within Heated Methane-Air Homogeneous Mixtures Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Energy Resources Technology 116 175 180 September 1994
- Najt P.M. Evaluating Threshold Knock with a Semi-Empirical Model - Initial Results SAE paper , No 872149 1987
- Abu-Qudais M. Exhaust Gas Temperature for Knock Detection and Control in Spark Ignition Engine Energy Convers. Mgmt 37 9 1383 1392 1996
- Thomas J.R. Clarke D.P. Collins J.M. Sakonji T. Ikeda K. Shoji F. Furushima K. A Test to Evaluate the Influences of Natural Gas Composition and Knock Intensity Transactions of the ASME Journal of ICE 22 1994
- Goto S. Itoh Y. Development of Lean Burn High-Output Spark-Ignited Gas Engines (Experimental Study in Lean Gas Engines) Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 63 607 1055 1061 1997 (in Japanese)
- Bade Shrestha S.O. Karim G.A. A Predictive Model for Gas Fuelled Spark Ignition Engine Applications SAE paper , No 1999-01-3482 1999