This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Abatement of automotive cold start hydrocarbon emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 23, 2001 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
This paper reports the results of a study on adsorption properties of zeolitic materials with different pore opening and Si/Al ratio towards engine cold start hydrocarbon emissions. Some selected zeolites were deposited on cordierite honeycomb support by a novel technique. Dynamic adsorption tests were performed at the engine exhaust on both commercial and specifically synthetised powder samples and on deposited zeolites. In order to obtain indications on selectivity properties of the different materials, equilibrium isotherm curves and dynamic tests were carried out for three model hydrocarbons (ethylene, isobutene, toluene), considered as representative of the most concentrated compounds detectable at engine start-up. The aim was to understand how the physico-chemical characteristics of the adsorbent material can affect its trapping capability in adsorbing all the types of hydrocarbons present in the engine exhaust. The final goal of the research is the realisation of a prototype of hydrocarbon trap for abatement of cold start hydrocarbon emissions.
- P. Corbo - Istituto Motori CNR, Napoli – Italy
- F. Migliardini - Istituto Motori CNR, Napoli – Italy
- D. Caputo - Dipartimento di Ingegneria dei Materiali e della Produzione, Università “Federico II”, Napoli - Italy
- C. Colella - Dipartimento di Ingegneria dei Materiali e della Produzione, Università “Federico II”, Napoli - Italy
- F. Iucolano - Dipartimento di Ingegneria dei Materiali e della Produzione, Università “Federico II”, Napoli - Italy
- R. Aiello - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Chimica e dei Materiali, Università della Calabria, Arcavacata di Rende, Cosenza - Italy
- F. Crea - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Chimica e dei Materiali, Università della Calabria, Arcavacata di Rende, Cosenza - Italy
CitationCorbo, P., Migliardini, F., Aiello, R., Crea, F. et al., "Abatement of automotive cold start hydrocarbon emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2001-24-0066, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-24-0066.
- Kollmann, K. Abthoff, J. Zahn, W. “Concepts for Ultra Low Emission Vehicles” SAE Techical Paper N. 940469 1994
- Engler, B.H. Lindner, D. Lox, E.S. Ostgathe, K. Schafer-Sindlinger, A. Muller, W. “Reduction of Exhaust Gas Emissions by Using Hydrocarbon Adsorber Systems” SAE Technical Paper N. 930738 1993
- Goralski, C.T. Jr Chanko, T. Lupescu, J. Canti, G. “Experimental and Modeling Investigation of catalyzed Hydrocarbon Trap Performance” SAE Technical Paper N. 2000-01-0654 2000
- Breck D.W. Zeolite Molecular Sieves John Wiley & Sons New York 1974 3
- Aiello R. Crea F. Testa F. Spanti Gattuso A. “In situ crystallization of MFI-Type zeolites over cordierite support” Stud. Surf. Sci. Catal. 125 29 1999
- Kubo, S. Yamamoto, M. Kizaki, Y. Yamazaki, S. Tanaka, T. Nakanishi, K. “Speciated Hydrocarbon Emissions of SI Engine During Cold Start and Warm-up” SAE Technical Paper N. 932706 1993
- Corbo P. Migliardini F. Ciambelli P. Gaudino M.C. “Htdrocarbon trapping on zeolite based adsorbents at automotive xhaust during cold start” IV Int. Conf. On Internal Combustion Engines – Experiments and Modeling – ICE99 Capri 12–16 Settemvre 1999
- Corbo, P. Migliardini, F. Caputo, D. Iucolano, F. Colella, C. “Hydrocarbon adsorbers for reducing cold start emissions” 2000 Future Transportation Technology Conference, Costa Mesa, California, August 21–23 2000. SAE Technical Paper N. 2000-01-3094
- Gregg S.J. Sing K.S.W. “Adsorption, Surface Area and Porosity” Academic Press Inc. San Diego, CA 1997