This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Recent Advances in Brain Injury Research: A New Human Head Model Development and Validation
Published November 01, 2001 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: STAPP Car Crash Conference
Many finite element models have been developed by several research groups in order to achieve a better understanding of brain injury. Due to the lack of experimental data, validation of these models has generally been limited. Consequently, applying these models to investigate brain responses has also been limited. Over the last several years, several versions of the Wayne State University brain injury model (WSUBIM) were developed. However, none of these models is capable of simulating indirect impacts with an angular acceleration higher than 8,000 rad/s2. Additionally, the density and quality of the mesh in the regions of interest are not detailed and sensitive enough to accurately predict the stress/strain level associated with a wide range of impact severities. In this study, WSUBIM version 2001, capable of simulating direct and indirect impacts with a combined translational and rotational acceleration of the head up to 200 g and 12,000 rad/s2 has been developed. This new finely meshed model, consisting of more than 314,500 elements and 281,800 nodes, also simulates an anatomically detailed facial bone model. An additional new feature of the model is the damageable material property representation of the facial bone and the skull, allowing it to simulate bony fractures. The model was subjected to extensive validation using published cadaveric test data. These data include the intracranial and ventricular pressure data reported by Nahum et al. (1977) and Trosseille et al. (1992), the relative displacement data between the brain and the skull reported by King et al. (1999) and Hardy et al. (2001), and the facial impact data reported by Nyquist et al. (1986) and Allsop et al. (1988). With the enhanced accuracy of model predictions offered by this new model, along with new experimental data, it is hoped that it will become a powerful tool to further our understanding of the mechanisms of injury and the tolerance of the brain to blunt impact.
- Liying Zhang - Wayne State University
- King H. Yang - Wayne State University
- Ramesh Dwarampudi - Wayne State University
- Kiyoshi Omori - Wayne State University
- Tieliang Li - Wayne State University
- Kun Chang - Wayne State University
- Warren N. Hardy - Wayne State University
- Tom B. Khalil - Wayne State University
- Albert I. King - Wayne State University
CitationZhang, L., Yang, K., Dwarampudi, R., Omori, K. et al., "Recent Advances in Brain Injury Research: A New Human Head Model Development and Validation," SAE Technical Paper 2001-22-0017, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-22-0017.
- Abel, J.M. Gennarelli, T.A. Segawa, H 1978 Incidence and severity of cerebral concussion in the rhesus monkey following sagittal plane angular acceleration Proc. 22 nd Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 780886 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Adams, J.H. Graham, D.I. Gennarelli, T.A. 1983 Head injury in man and experimental animals: Neuropathology Acta Neurochirurgica Suppl 32 15 30
- Al-Bsharat, A. Hardy, W.N. Yang, K.H. Khalil, T.B. King, A.I. Tashman, S 1999 Brain/skull relative displacement magnitude due to blunt head impact: new experimental data and model Proc. 43 rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 99S C22. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Allsop, D.L. Warner, C.Y. Wille, M.G. Scheider, D.C. Nahum, A.M. 1988 Facial impact response-A compareison of the Hybrid III dummy and human cadaver Porc. 32nd Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 881719 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrrendale, PA.
- Anderson, R.W.G. Brown, C.J. Blumbergs, P.C. Scott, G. Finney, J.W. Jones, N.R. McLean, A.J. 1999 Mechanisms of axonal injury: an experimental and numerical study of a sheep model of head impact Proc. International Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact (IRCOBI) 107 120 Sitges, Spain
- Arbogast, K.B. Margulies, S.S. 1997 Regional differences in mechanical properties of the porcine central nervous system Proc. 41 st Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 973336 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrrendale, PA.
- Bae, J. Zhang, L. Yang, K.H. King, A.I. 2001 The role of the cerebral vasculature on brain response Proc. 6 th US National Congress on Computational Mechanics Conference Dearborn, MI
- Bain, A.C. Billiar, K.L. Shreiber, D.I. McIntosh, T.K. Meaney, D.F. 1996 In vivo mechanical thresholds for traumatic axonal damage Proc. AGARD Head Injury Specialists’ Meeting, AGARD-CP-597 Mescalero, NM
- Bandak, F.A. Eppinger, R.H. 1994 A three-dimensional finite element analysis of the human brain under combined rotational and translational accelerations Proc. 37 th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 942215 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrrendale, PA.
- Bandak, F.A. Chan, P.C. Stuhmiller, J 1999 Influence of the subarachnoidal cerebrospinal fluid layer on the dynamic response of the brain: An experimental and computational study Proc. 27th International Workshop in Biomechanics Research 115 139 NHTSA Washington, D.C.
- Bradshaw, D.R. Ivarsson, J. Morfey, C.L. Viano, D.C. 2001 Simulation of acute subdural hematoma and diffuse axonal injury in coronal head impact Journal of Biomechanics 34 85 94
- Carter, R 1989 The elastic properties of cortical mandibular bone Tulane University New Orleans
- Chu, C.S. Lin, M.S. Huang, H.M. Lee, M.C. 1994 Finite element analysis of cerebral contusion Journal of Biomechanics 27 187 94
- Denney-Brown, D. Russell, W.R. 1941 Experimental cerebral concussion Brain 64 93 164
- DiMasi, F.P. Eppinger, R.H. Bandak, F.A. 1995 Computational analysis of head impact response under car crash loadings Proc. 39 th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 952718 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Ding, M. Dalstra, M. Danielsen, C.C. Kabel, J. Hvid, I. Linde, F 1997 Age variations in the properties of human tibial trabecular bone Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 79-B 995 1002
- Dorbin, P.B. 1978 Mechanical properties of arteries Physiol. Rev. 58 397 460
- Edberg, S. Rieker, J. Angrist, A 1963 Study of impact pressure and acceleration in plastic skull models Lab. Invest. 12 1305 1311
- Engin, A.E. Wang, H.C. 1970 A mathematical mdoel to determine viscoelastic behavior of in-vivo primate brain Journal of Biomechanics 3 283 296
- Fallenstein, G.T. Hulce, V.D. Melvin, J.W. 1969 Dynamic mechanical properties of human brain tissue Journal of Biomechanics. 2 217 226
- Gadd, C.W. Nahum, A.M. Gatt, J. Danford, J 1968 A study of head and facial bone impact tolerance Proc. G.M. Auto Safety Seminar Detroit, Michigan
- Galford, J.E. McElhaney, J.H. 1969 Some viscoelastic study of scalp, brain and dura ASME Paper No. 69-BHF-6. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York
- Gennarelli, T.A. Thibault, L.E. 1982 Biomechanics of acute subdural hematoma Journal of Trauma 22 680 686
- Giesen, E.B.W. Van Eijden, T.M.G.J. 2001 The three-dimentional cancellous bone architecture of the human mandibular condyle Journal of Dental Research 79 957 963
- Gross, A.G. 1958 A new theory on the dynamics of concussion and brain injury Journal of Neurosurgery 15 548 561
- Gurdjian E.S. Hodgson, V.R. Thomas, L.M. Patrick, L.M. 1967 High speed techniques in head injury research Medical Science 18 (11) 45 56
- Gurdjian, E.S. Lissner, H.R. Patrick, L.M. 1963 Concussion-mechanism and pathology Proc. 7 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 470 482 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrrendale, PA
- Gurdjian, E.S. Webster, J.E. Lissner, H.R. 1955 Observation on the mechanism of brain concussion, contusion, and laceration Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics 101 680 690
- Hardy, W.N. Foster, C.D. Mason, M.J. Yang, K.H. King, A.I. Tashman, S 2001 Investigation of head injury mechanisms using neutral density technology and high-speed biplanar X-ray Stapp Car Crash Journal, The Stapp Association, Ann Arbor, MI
- Hayes W.C., Swenson L.W. Jr. Schurman, D.J. 1978 Axisymmetric finite element analysis of the lateral tibial plateau Journal of Biomechanics 11 21 23
- Holbourn, A.H.S. 1943 Mechanics of head injuries The Lancet 438 441
- Hou, F.J. Lang, S.M. Hoshaw, S.J. Reimann, D.A. Fyhrie, D.P. 1998 Human vertebral body apparent and hard tissue stiffness Journal of Biomechanics 31 1009 1015
- Huang, H.M. Lee, M.C. Chiu, W.T. Chen, C.T. Lee, S.Y. 1999 Three-dimensional finite element analysis of subdural hematoma Journal of Trauma 47 538 44
- Huang, H.M. Lee, M.C. Lee, S.Y. Chiu, W.T. Pan, L.C. Chen, C.T. 2000 Finite element analysis of brain contusion: an indirect impact study Med. Biol. Eng. Comput. 38 253 9
- Jane, J.A. Steward, O. Gennarelli, T.A. 1985 Axonal degeneration induced by experimental noninvasive minor head injury Journal of Neurosurgery 62 96 100
- King, A.I. Yang, K.H. Hardy, W.N. Al-Bsharat, A.S. Deng, B. Begeman, P.C. Tashman, S 1999 Challenging problems and opportunities in impact biomechanics Proc. 1999 Summer Bioengineering Conference 269 270 American Society of Mechanical Engineers New York
- Kopecky, J.A. Ripperger, E.A. 1969 Closed brain injuries: An engineering analysis Journal of Biomechanics 2 29 34
- Kraus, J.F. McArthur, D.L. 1996 Epidemiologic aspects of brain injury Neurol. Clin. 14 435 450
- Lotz, J.C. Gethart, T.N. Hayes, W.C. 1990 Mechanical properties of trabecular bone from proximal femur: a quantitative CT study Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography 14 107 114
- Lowenhielm, P 1974 Strain tolerance of the vv. Cerebri sup. (bridging veins) calculated from head-on collision tests with cadavers Z. Rechtsmedizin. 75 131 144
- Lowenhielm, P. 1975 Mathematical simulation of gliding contusions Journal of Biomechanics 8 351 356
- Magoun, H.M. 1958 The Walking Brain 188 Charles C Thomas Springfield, Ill
- McElhaney, J.H. Melvin, J.W. Roberts, V.L. Portnoy, H.D. 1973 Dynamic characteristics of the tissues of the head Perspectives in Biomedical Engineering Kenedi, R.M. 215 222 Macmillian Press Ltd. London
- McGrath, P. Mills, P 1984 Atlas of Sectional Anatomy: Head, Neck and Trunk Krage, Basel, Switzerland
- Meaney, D.F. 1991 The biomechanics of acute subdural hematoma in the subhuman primate and man University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PA
- Melvin, J.W. Evans, F.G. 1971 A strain energy approach to the mechanics of skull fracture Proc. 25 th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 710871 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Melvin, J.W. Robbins, D.H. Roberts, V.L. 1969 The mechanical properties of the diploë layer in the human skull in compression, Developments in Mechanics Proc. 11 th Midwest Mech. Conference 5 811 818
- Mendis, K. Stalnaker, R.L. Advani, A.H. 1995 A constitutive relationship for large deformation finite element modeling of brain tissue J. Biomech. Engrg. 117 279 285
- Miller, R.T. Smith, D.H. Chen, X. Xu, B-N. Leoni, M. Nonaka, M. Meaney, D.F. 1999 Comparing experiemental data to traumatic brain injury finite element models Proc. 43 rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 99C20. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrrendale, PA.
- Misch, C.E. Qu, Z. Bidez, M.W. 1999 Mechanical properties of trabecular bone in the human mandible: implications for dental implant treatment planning and surgical placement Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery 57 700 706
- Mow, V.C. Hayes, W.C. 1997 Basic Orthopaedic Biomechancis 267 278 Lippincott-Raven Philadelphia
- Mow, V.C. Ratcliff A. Woo, S.L. 1990 Biomechancis of Diarthroidal Joints 202 261 Springer-Verlag New York
- Nagashima T Shirakuni T Rapoport SI 1990 A two-dimensional, finite element analysis of vasogenic brain edema Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo). 30 1 9
- Nahum, A.M. Smith, R. Ward, C.C. 1977 Intracranial pressure dynamics during head impact Proc. 21 st Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 770922 , Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Newman, J.A. Shewchenko, N. Welbourne, E 2000 A proposed new biomechanical head injury assessment function-The maximum power index Stapp Car Crash Journal, Paper No. 2000-01-SC16. The Stapp Association, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Nishimoto, T. Murakami, S. 1998 Relation between diffuse axonal injury and internal head structures on blunt impact Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 120 140 147
- Nusholtz, G.S. Glascoe, L.G. Wylie, E.B. 1996 Modeling cavitation during head impact Proc. AGARD Head Injury Specialists’ Meeting, AGARD-CP-597 Mescalero, NM
- Nusholtz, G.S. Lux, P. Kaiker, P.S. Janicki, M.A. 1984 Head impact response skull deformation and angular acceleration Proc. 28 th Stapp Car Crash Conference. SAE Paper No. 841657 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Nyquist, G.W. Cavanaugh, J.M. Goldberg, S.J. King, A.I. 1986 Facial impact tolerance and response Proc. 30 th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 861896 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Ommaya, A.K. Yarnell, P. Hirsch, A.E. Harris, E.H. 1967 Scaling of experimental data on cerebral concussion in sub-human primates to concussion threshold for man Proceedings of 11 th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 670906 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Ono, K. Kikuchi, A. Nakamura, M. Kobayashi, H. Nakamura, H 1980 Human head tolerance to sagittal impact reliable estimation deduced from experimental head injury using sub-human primates and human cadaver skulls Proc. 24 th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 801303 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Pieropaoli, C. Basser, P.J. 1996 Toward a quantitative assessment of diffusion anisotropy Magnetic resonance in medicine 36 893 906
- Pilz, P. 1983 Axonal injury in head injury Acta Neurochirurgica Suppl 32 119 123
- Pincemaille, Y. Trosseille, X. Mack, P. Tarriere, C. Breton, F. Renault, B 1989 Some new data related to human tolerance obtained from volunteer boxers Proc. of 33 rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 892435 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Pudenz, R.H. Shelden, C.H. 1946 The Lucite calvarium-a method for direct observation of the brain; cranial trauma and brain movement. J Neurosurgery 3 487 505
- Roach, M.R. Burton, A.C. 1957 The reason for the shape of the distensibility curves of arteries Can. J. Biochem. Physiol. 35 681 690
- Rosenblum, W. Greenberg, R. Seelig, J. Becker, D. 1981 Midbrain lesion: Frequent and significant prognostic feature in closed brain injury Neurosurgery 9 (6) 613 620
- Ross, D.T. Meaney, D.F. Sabol, M.K. Smith, D.H. Gennarelli, T.A. 1994 distribution of forebrain diffuse axonal injury following inertial closed head injury in miniature swine Experimental Neurology 126 291 299
- Ruan J.S., Prasad P. 1995 Coupling of a finite element human head model with a lumped parameter Hybrid III dummy model: preliminary results Journal of Neurotrauma 12 725 34
- Ruan, J.S. Khalil, T.B. King, A.I. 1993 Finite element modeling of direct head impact Proc. 37 th Stapp Car Conference, SAE Paper No. 933114 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Schneider, D.C. Nahum, A.M. 1972 Impact studies of facial bone and skull Proc. of 16 th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 720965 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Shuck, L.Z. Advani, S.H. 1972 A mathematical model for the determination of viscoelastic behavior of brain in vivo-I. Oscillatory response Journal of Biomechanics 5 431 446
- Stalnaker, R.L. 1969 Mechanical properties of the head W. Virginia University WV
- Tong, P. DiMasi F. Eppinger, R. Marcus, J. Galbraith, G 1989 Finite element modeling of head injury caused by inertial loading Proc. 12 th Int. Tech. Conference on Exp. Safety Vehicles 617 626
- Trosseille, X. Tarriere, C. Lavaste, F. Guillon, F. Domont, A 1992 Development of a F.E.M. of the human head according to a specific test protocol Proc. 36 th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 922527 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Turquier, F. Kang, H.S. Trosseille, X. Willinger, R. Lavaste, F. Tarriere, C. Domont, A 1996 Validation study of a 3D finite element head model against experimental data Proc. 40 th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 962431 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Ueno, K. Melvin, J.W. 1996 Tissue level injury criteria using brain finite element analysis, bilateral impact model AGARD/AMP Head Injury Specialists Meeting Mescalero, NM
- Ueno, K. Melvin, J.W. Li, L. Lighthall, J.W. 1995 Development of tissue level brain injury criteria by finite element analysis Journal of Neurotrauma 12 695 706
- Unterharnscheidt, F. Higgins, L.S. 1969 Traumatic lesions of brain and spinal cord due to non-deforming angular acceleration of the head Texas Reports on Biology and Medicine 27 127 166
- Viano, D.C. 1983 Biomechanics of non-penetrating Aortic Trauma: A review Proc. 27 th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 831608 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Voo, K. Kumaresan, S. Pintar, F.A. Yoganandan, N. Sances, A. Jr. 1989 Finite-element models of the human head Med Biol Eng Comput. 34 375 81
- Ward, C.C. Chan, M. Nahum, A.M. 1980 Intracranial pressure – a brain injury criterio Proc. 24 th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 801304 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Willinger, R. Kang, H.S. Diaw, B 1999 Three-dimensional human head finite-element model validation against two experimental impacts Ann Biomed Eng. 27 403 10
- Willinger, R. Taleb, L. Kopp, C-M. 1995 Modal and temporal analysis of head mathematical models Journal of Neurotrauma 12 743 754
- Yamada, H 1970 Strength of Biological Materials Williams &Wilkins Inc. Baltimore
- Zhang, L. Yang, K.H. King, A.I. 2001a Comparison of brain responses between frontal and lateral impacts by finite element modeling Journal of Neurotrauma 18 21 30
- Zhang, L. Yang, K.H. King, A.I. 2001b Biomechanics of neurotrauma Neurological Research 23 144 156
- Zhou, C. Khalil, T.B. King, A.I. 1995 A new model comparing impact responses of the homogeneous and inhomogeneous human brain Proc. 39 th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 952714 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.