This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SIMon: A SIMULATED INJURY MONITOR; APPLICATION TO HEAD INJURY ASSESSMENT
Published June 04, 2001 by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in United States
Annotation ability available
Advancements in computational techniques used to simulate human impact injury response, coupled with those in computer hardware, bring the idea of detailed injury assessment closer to reality. Consequently, next-generation (G2) injury assessment processes are being explored to potentially augment or replace methods using dummy-based, empirically-derived, gross injury risk relationships. These processes use computational models that give more detailed injury response resulting from dummy-measured loading. This paper discusses the development of an initial version of such a next-generation injury assessment tool called SIMon: A Simulated Injury Monitor, as it is applied to the assessment of brain injury.
|Technical Paper||HUMAN INJURY MODELLING – CAPABILITIES AND LIMITATIONS|
|Technical Paper||Computational Analysis of Head Impact Response Under Car Crash Loadings|
|Technical Paper||Development of an FE Model of the Rat Head Subjected to Air Shock Loading|
CitationBandak, F., Zhang, A., Tannous, R., DiMasi, F. et al., "SIMon: A SIMULATED INJURY MONITOR; APPLICATION TO HEAD INJURY ASSESSMENT," SAE Technical Paper 2001-06-0222, 2001.
- Bandak, F.A. On the Mechanics of Impact Neurotrauma: A Review and Critical Synthesis Journal of Neurotrauma 1995 12 4 635 649
- DiMasi, F.P. Transformation of Nine-Accelerometer Package (NAP) Data for Replicating Headpart Kinematics and Dynamic Loading 1995
- Bandak, F. A. Impact Traumatic Brain Injuries: A Mechanical Perspective Neurotraumatology: Biomechanic Aspects, Cytologic and Molecular Mechanisms Oehmichen M. Konig H G. 58 83 Schmid-Romhild 1997
- Padgaonkar, A.J. Kreiger K.W. King, A.I. Measurement of Angular Acceleration of a Rigid Body Using Linear Accelerometers Journal of Applied Mechanics 1975 1 5
- Meaney, D.F. et al. Experimental Investigation of the Relationship between Head Kinematics and Intracranial Tissue Deformation ASME SAM 1993 24 8 11
- Gennarelli, T.A. Thibault, L.E. Adams, J.H. Graham, D.I. Thompson, C.J. Marcincin, R.P. Diffuse Axonal Injury and Traumatic Coma in the Primate Annals of Neurology 1982 12 6 564 574
- Bandak, F. A. Chan P. C. Yu J. Influence of the Subarachnoidal Cerebrspinal Fluid Layer on the Dynamic Response of the Brain: An Experimental and Computational Study Injury Biomechanics Research, Proceedings of the Twenty Seventh Human Subject Biomechanics Workshop San Diego 1999 115 139
- Nusholtz, G.S. Wylie, E. B. Glascoe L. G. Internal Cavitation in a Simple Head Model Bandak F.A. Eppinger R.H. Ommaya A.K. Traumatic Brain Injury: Bioscience and Mechanics Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. 173 180
- Ono, K. Kikuchi, A. Nakamura, M. Human Head Tolerance to Sagittal Impact -- Reliable Estimation Deduced from Experimental Head Injury Using Subhuman Primates and Human Cadaver Skulls 24th Stapp Car Crash Conference. Society of Automotive Engineers 1980 101 160
- Lowenhielm, P. Dynamic Properties of the Parasagittal Veins 1974 74 55 62
- Gennarelli, T.A. Thibault, L.E. Biomechanics of acute subdural hematoma J. Trauma 1982 22 8 680 6