This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
PROPOSED FOUR ¼ TURN METRIC TO SIMULATE ROLLOVER CRASHES
Published June 04, 2001 by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in United States
Annotation ability available
Rollovers are injurious crash events, causing a disproportionate amount of Harm. Current rollover metrics, Critical Sliding Velocity, Tilt Table Ratio, etc are based on turning a vehicle onto its side (one ¼ turn). ¼ turn rollovers account for 6.9% of Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS) 3 to 6 injuries, whereas four ¼ turn rollovers (one full revolution) account for 69.5% of AIS 3 to 6 injuries. This paper proposes a four ¼ turn rollover metric based on vehicle geometry and mass.
CitationRichardson, S., Grzebieta, R., and Bellion, P., "PROPOSED FOUR ¼ TURN METRIC TO SIMULATE ROLLOVER CRASHES," SAE Technical Paper 2001-06-0199, 2001.
- Herbst B. Forrest S. Ching D. Sances A. Jr. “Fidelity of anthropometric test dummy necks in rollover accidents” 16 th ESV, paper 98-S9-W20
- Rechnitzer G. Lane J. Scott G. “Rollover Crash Study – Vehicle Design and Occupant Injuries” 15 th ESV, paper 96-S5-O-10
- Snyder R. G. McDole T. L. Ladd W. M. Minaham D. J. “On-Road Crash Experience of Utility Vehicles”
- Richardson S. “Development of a 4x4 Rollover Protective Structure Performance Requirement” SAE – Australia, 1999 Young Engineers Conference
- Wilber V. H. “Vehicle Rollover Prevention, A Balanced Approach To A Complex Problem” 15 th ESV, paper 96-S5-O-07
- Hight P. V. Siegel A. W. Nahum A. M. “Injury Mechanisms in Rollover Collisions” SAE paper 720966
- Kecman D. Randell N. “The Role of Calculation in the Development and Type Approval of Coach Structures for Rollover Safety” 15 th ESV, paper 96-S5-O-05
- Winkler C. B. Campbell K. L. Mink C. E. “Variability in Center of Gravity Height Measurement” SAE paper 920050
- Riley Garrott W. “Measured Vehicle Inertial parameters – NHTSA’s Data Through September 1992” SAE paper 930897
- Heitzman Edward J. Heitzman Edward F. “Topsy – A modular Chassis Parameter Measurement System” SAE paper 971056
- Bellion P. “Project Y.A.M. (Yaw Analysis Methodology) Vehicle Testing and Findings – Victoria Police, Accident Investigation Section” SAE paper 970955
- Dayawansa P. H. Grzebieta R. H. “Roll-Over Crashworthiness of a Three-Dimensional Vehicle Frame” The Institution of Engineers Australia, Structural Engineering Conference 1990
- Grzebieta R. H. Murray N. W. “Energy Absorption of an Initially Imperfect Strut Subjected to an Impact Load” International Journal Impact Engineering 4 3 147 159 1986