This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
HYBRID III DUMMY NECK RESPONSE TO AIR BAG LOADING
Published June 04, 2001 by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses issues related to the Hybrid III dummy head/neck response due to deploying air bags. The primary issue is the occurrence of large moment at the occypital condyles of the dummy, when the head-rotation with respect to the torso is relatively small. The improbability of such an occurrence in humans is discussed in detail based on the available biomechanical data. A secondary issue is the different anthropometric characteristics of the head/neck region of the Hybrid III dummy when compared to humans.
Different modes of interaction between the deploying air bag and the Hybrid III dummy’s neck are discussed. Key features of the dummy’s response in these interaction modes have been described in light of the laxity of the atlanto-occypital joint and the effect of the neck muscle pairs. Issues for improving the biofidelity of the Hybrid III dummy’s neck response due to deploying air bags are discussed.
CitationAgaram, V., Kang, J., Nusholtz, G., and Kostyniuk, G., "HYBRID III DUMMY NECK RESPONSE TO AIR BAG LOADING," SAE Technical Paper 2001-06-0130, 2001.
- Melvin, J. Horsch, J. McCleary, J. Wideman, L. Jensen, J Wolanin, M. “Assessment of Air Bag Deployment Loads with the Small Female Hybrid III Dummy” Proceedings of the 37 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 121 132 933119 1993
- Morris, C. R. Zuby, D. S. Lund, A. K. “Measuring Air Bag Injury Risk to Out-of-Position Occupants” paper 98-S5-O-08, Proceedings of the 16 th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, May 31 – June 4 1998
- Kang, J. Agaram, V. Nusholtz, G. Kostyniuk, G. “Air Bag Loading on In-Position Hybrid III Dummy Neck” SAE paper 2001-01-0179 2001
- Mertz, H Patrick, L. “Strength and Response of the Human Neck” Proceedings of the 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper 710855 1971
- Nusholtz, G. Wu, J. Kaiker, P. “Passenger Air Bag Study Using Geometric Analysis of Rigid Body Motion” Experimental Mechanics September 1991
- Mertz, H. Irwin, A. Melvin, J. Stalnaker, R Beebe, M. “Size, Weight and Biomechanical Impact Response Requirements for Adult Size Small Female and Large Male Dummy” SAE paper 890756 1989
- Snyder, R. Chaffin, D Foust, D. “Bioengineering Study of Basic Physical Measurements Related to Susceptibility to Cervical Hyperextension-Hyperflexion Injury” 1975
- Goel, V.K. Clark, C.R. Gallaes, K Liu, Y.K. “Moment-Rotation Relationships of the Ligamentous Occipital-Atlanto-Axial Complex” J. Biomechanics 21 8 673 680 1988
- Nightingale, R. Winkelstein, B.A Knaub, K.E Myers, B. S “Experiments on the Bending Behavior of Cervical Spine Motion Segments” Proceedings of the 26 th International Workshop on Experimental and Computational Biomechanics Workshop 1998
- Xu, L. et al. “Comparative Performance Evaluation of THOR and Hybrid III” SAE paper 2000-01-0161 2000