This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
THE CRASH AND FIELD PERFORMANCE OF SIDE-MOUNTED AIRBAG SYSTEMS
Published June 04, 2001 by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in United States
Annotation ability available
Drawing on recent Canadian field collision investigations and crash testing using the SIDIIs dummy, the field experience and crash performance of side-mounted airbag systems are reviewed. All of the inflatable technologies tested demonstrated the ability to greatly reduce head injury potential. Further improvements to the design of inflatable head protection devices are required to better ensure they contain and protect the head of occupants seated in locations forward of the mid seat track. New moving deformable barrier designs, such as the one recently developed by the IIHS, appear to offer significant advantages over designs currently used to regulate side impact protection. Improving the level of protection against chest injury to car occupants in SUV-to-car side impacts represents a significant challenge.
CitationDalmotas, D., German, A., and Tylko, S., "THE CRASH AND FIELD PERFORMANCE OF SIDE-MOUNTED AIRBAG SYSTEMS," SAE Technical Paper 2001-06-0103, 2001.
- Dalmotas, D.J. German, A. Zygmunt. M.G. Green, R.N. Nowak, S.N. “Prospects for Improving Side Impact Protection based on Canadian Field Accident Data and Crash Testing” SAE Publication SP-851, Paper 910321 , Society of Automotive Engineers 1991
- Dalmotas, D.J. Newman, J. Gibson, T “Prospects for the Further Improvement of Side Impact Protection Based on Crash Testing” 14th International Technical Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Germany May 1994
- Dalmotas, D.J. Withnall C. Gibson, T “Side Impact Protection Opportunities” 15th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles May 1996
- Dalmotas, D. German, A. Comeau, J-L. Monk, B. Hurley, R. ”Correlation of Field Accident Data with Dummy Measures Measured in Side Impact Crash Tests” JSAE, Paper 268 1998
- Tylko, S Dalmotas, D. “Assessment of Injury Risk to Children from Side Airbags” Stapp Car Crash Journal 44 2000-01-SC01 November 2000
- The Side Airbag Out-of-Position Injury Technical Working Group “Recommended Procedures for Evaluating Occupant Injury Risk from Deploying Side Airbags” August 2000
- Tylko, S Dalmotas, D. “Static Out-Of-Position Test Methodologies: Identifying A Realistic Worst Case For Small Stature Female Drivers” Paper 421, 17th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 2001
- Seyer, K. Newland, C. Terrel, M. Dalmotas, D. “The Effect of Mass, Stiffness and Geometry on Injury Outcomes in Side Impacts - A Parametric Study” Stapp Car Crash Journal, Volume 44, Technical Paper 2000-01-SC01 November 2000
- Manary, M. A. et al “ATD Positioning Based on Driver Posture and Position” Proceedings of the 42 nd Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper 983163 1998