This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
COLLISION AVOIDANCE CAPABILITIES OF OLDER DRIVERS AND IMPROVEMENT BY WARNING PRESENTATIONS
Published June 04, 2001 by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in United States
Annotation ability available
The avoidance behavior of drivers over the age of 65 was compared with drivers under the age of 60 years in an emergent traffic situation where an obstacle vehicle drives into a blind intersection in a driving simulator. The drivers generally tended to do their best driving as the required reaction time in the situation decreased. However, the avoidance performances of the older drivers were more restricted than those of younger drivers; e.g., the maximum steering velocity was around 250 deg/s for the older drivers but 450 deg/s for the younger drivers. The older drivers needed a greater time margin, ranging from 1.35 to 2.7 s, than the younger drivers to successfully complete the avoidance. It was suggested that the avoidance abilities of the older drivers could be attributed to their mental and physical traits; their avoidance performances were remarkably improved by presenting advanced auditory warnings 3.0 seconds before their arrival at the intersection.
CitationUno, H. and Hiramatsu, K., "COLLISION AVOIDANCE CAPABILITIES OF OLDER DRIVERS AND IMPROVEMENT BY WARNING PRESENTATIONS," SAE Technical Paper 2001-06-0029, 2001.
- Burg, A. Lateral visual field as related to age and sex Journal of Applied Psychology 52 1 10 15 1968
- Uno, H. Hiramatsu, K. Older driver performance during combined operation tasks Proceedings of 74th Annual Meeting of Transportation Research Board, Paper No. 950058 1995
- Korteling, J. E. Perception-response speed and driving capabilities of brain-damaged and older drivers Human Factors 32 1 95 108 1990
- Staplin, L. Simulator and field measurements of driver age differences in left turn gap judgment Proceedings of 74th Annual Meeting of Transportation Research Board, Paper No. 950276 1995
- Oguchi, Y. Sawada, T. Handling performance of the elderly driver Journal of Japan Automobile Research Institute 9 11 3 8 1987
- Hiramatsu, K. et. al The first step of motion system realization in the JARI driving simulator proceedings of AVEC '94 1994
- Uno, H. Hiramatsu, K. Relationship of time margin to driver steering avoidance for suddenly appearing obstacle Proceedings of 4th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems, Paper No. 3070 1997
- Uno, H. et. al Detectability of criticality and urgency under various conditions of visual and auditory indications Proceedings of 4th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems, Paper No. 3071 1997
- Uno, H. et. al Communication of criticality and urgency by assignment of visual and auditory qualities for in-vehicle display Proceedings of 6th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems, Paper No. 3005 1999