This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Customer Oriented Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Product development oriented by costumer, for a sub “B” market from Ford Motor Company, using a specific work process for customer satisfaction improvement. The development work planning starts with a research on internal and external quality indicators . In addition, we search improvements on comfort and innovations with costumers and we found new ideas for features. Others concepts about product rejecters were added. Then, was planed a package of changes in addition of quality improvements. The new content provides improvements on interior/exterior design, finish, comfort, performance and add features.
|Technical Paper||Virtual Ergonomic Assessment on Handheld Products based on Virtual Grasping by Digital Hand|
|Aerospace Standard||Reviews and Configuration Audits|
|Journal Article||The Future of Automotive Design & Development: 3D for All|
CitationVentura, V. and Malisano, P., "Customer Oriented Design," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3899, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3899.
- - The quality indicators most used by Ford Motor Company are: TGW (Things gone wrong) that indicates the problems which raise customers dissatisfaction, Non TGW is similar to TGW but without a customer complain, ICCD (Intensive Customer Concern Definition) which contact the customers by phone to verify complains/comments about products and services and the Craftsmanship that evaluate the aspects which highlight, on customers point of view, the design and styling quality.
- - The clinic process consists in a meeting with consumers in a impartial place (outside the company) to show the styling or content proposal in order to obtain their comments and critiques.
- - Main development tools for product verification are: CS - Customer Satisfaction which measures the customer satisfaction improvements in function of product changes and the NVH - Noise Vibration and Harshness which quantifies and qualifies the squeaks and rattles generates during vehicle evaluations. The mains product validation tools are: FEU - Field Evaluation Units is a fleet of vehicles which is submitted, after vehicle validation on proving ground, to a road tests in different road conditions through several routes and the PSW (Parts Samples Warranty) which is the part certification warranty raised by suppliers for each new part. For Process Management: ESTA ( Early Sourcing Target Achievement) that is the document signed by suppliers confirming their quotations and necessary investments to proceed with changes and the OTG ( Open to Go) which monitors the parts delivery and the commitment with program milestones.
- - The product launch phase start on 1PP ( First Pre Prove out) fitting a small quantity of vehicles with tooled parts to evaluate process capability; then FEU ( Field Evaluation Unit) already mentioned and the CIB (Continuous Integration Building) which regards to the product implementation ramp up.
- - 6 Sigma consumers driven is a tool, which improves the customer satisfaction with the variability reduction on product and management process.