This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control Stability and NVH Improvements of the Variable Displacement Swashplate Compressor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As progress is made to reduce the NVH (Noise and Vibration Harshness) levels of the engine, the noise and vibration generated by the A/C compressor becomes more pronounced to the occupants. Compressor designs that offer Best-in-Class NVH levels are being favored by vehicle manufacturers; however, the product offering must also incorporate technology such as continuous operation, high-speed capability, optimized package size, and lower weight that allows its application to smaller power-trains.
The continuously variable displacement compressor satisfies the requirement for continuous operation by controlling the displacement to match the A/C system demand. The new technology offers improvements in speed capability; NVH and displacement control, and is steadily replacing the older “wobble-plate” variable displacement compressors, that were first introduced in 1984. This paper will explain the enhancements for NVH, control stability, and high-speed operation incorporated into the swashplate variable design.
CitationEbbing, D., "Control Stability and NVH Improvements of the Variable Displacement Swashplate Compressor," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3837, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3837.
- Skinner T., Swadner R. “V-5 Automotive Variable Displacement Air Conditioning Compressor” SAE Technical Paper Series #850040
- Kishibuchi A., Nosaka M. “Development of Continuous Running, Externally Controlled Variable Displacement Compressor” SAE paper #1999-01-0876
- Nadamoto H., Kubota A. “Power Saving with the Use of Variable Displacement Compressors” SAE paper #1999-01-0875
- “Dynamic Analysis of a variable displacement compressor for vehicle air conditioners using finite element methods” SAE paper #910213
- “Development of the swashplate type continuously variable displacement compressor (7SB16)” SAE paper # 968304
- “10PC20 Swash plate type variable displacement compressor for Automotive Air Conditioners” SAE paper # 920260