This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Emissions of a DI Diesel Engine Operated with LPG and Ignition Improving Additives
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
This research investigated the performance and emissions of a direct injection (DI) Diesel engine operated on 100% butane liquid petroleum gas (LPG). The LPG has a low cetane number, therefore di-tertiary-butyl peroxide (DTBP) and aliphatic hydrocarbon (AHC) were added to the LPG (100% butane) to enhance cetane number. With the cetane improver, stable Diesel engine operation over a wide range of the engine loads was possible. By changing the concentration of DTBP and AHC several different LPG blended fuels were obtained. In-cylinder visualization was also used in this research to check the combustion behavior. LPG and only AHC blended fuel showed NOX emission increased compared to Diesel fuel operation. Experimental result showed that the thermal efficiency of LPG powered Diesel engine was comparable to Diesel fuel operation. Exhaust emissions measurements showed that NOX and smoke could be considerably reduced with the blend of LPG, DTBP and AHC.
- K. Sugiyama - Iwatani International Corp.
- M. Kajiwara - Iwatani International Corp.
- M. Mori - Iwatani International Corp.
- M. Alam - National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
- Shinichi Goto - National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
- M. Konno - Ibaraki Univ.
- M. Motohashi - Ibaraki Univ.
- K. Oyama - Ibaraki Univ.
CitationAlam, M., Goto, S., Sugiyama, K., Kajiwara, M. et al., "Performance and Emissions of a DI Diesel Engine Operated with LPG and Ignition Improving Additives," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3680, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3680.
- Eberhard, G. A. Ansari, M. Hoekman, S. K. “Emissions and Fuel Economy Tests of a Methanol Bus with a 1988 DDC Engine” SAE Paper 900342 1990
- Christensen, R. Sorenson, S. C. Jensen, M. G. Hansen, K. F. “Engine Operation on Dimethyl Ether in a Naturally Aspirated, DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 971665 1997
- Suga, T. Kitajima, S. Fujii, I. “Pre-Ignition Phenomena of Methanol Fuel (M85) by the Post-Ignition Technique” SAE Paper 892061 1989
- Kajitani, S. Chen, C. L. Oguma, M. Alam, M. Rhee, K. T. “Direct Injection Diesel Engine Operated with Propane - DME Blended Fuel” SAE Paper 982536 1998
- Stavinoha, L. L. Alfaro, E. S. Dobbs, H. H. Villahermosa, L. A. Heywood, J. B. “Alternative Fuels: Gas to Liquids as Potential 21 st Century Truck Fuels” SAE Paper 2000-01-3422 2000
- Lee, D. Shakal, J. Goto, S. Ishikawa, H. Ueno, H. Harayama, N. “Observation of Flame Propagation in an LPG Lean Burn SI Engine” SAE Paper 1999-01-0570 1999
- Goto, S. Lee, D. Shakal, J. Harayama, N. Honjo, F., H. Ueno, H. “Performance and Emissions of an LPG Lean Burn Engine for Heavy Duty Vehicles” SAE Paper 1999-01-1513 1999
- Witze, P. O. Vilchis, F. R. “Stroboscopic Laser Shadow Graph Study of the Effect of Swirl on Homogeneous Combustion In a Spark-Ignition Engines” SAE Paper 830335 1983
- Ando, H. “Combustion Control Technologies for Gasoline Engine” ImechE Seminar Publication 1996-20 1996
- Belaire, R. C. Davis, G. C. Kent, J. C. Tabaczynski, R. J. “Combustion Chamber Effects on Burn Rates in a High Swirl Spark Ignition Engines” SAE Paper 830335 1983
- Goto, S. Shakal, J. Daigo, H. “LPG Engine Research and Development in Japan” International Congress on Transportation Electronics (Convergence '96) 1996
- Goto, S. Lee, D. Wakao, Y. Honma, H. Mori, M. Akasaka, Y. Hashimoto, K. Motohashi, M. Konno, M. “Development of an LPG DI Diesel Engine Using Cetane Number Enhancing Additives” SAE Paper 1999-01-3602 1999
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGrow-Hill 1998