This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
3-D PIV Analysis of Structural Behavior of D.I. Gasoline Spray
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
Three-dimensional behaviors of direct injection (D.I.) gasoline sprays were investigated using 2-D and 3-D particle image velocimetry (PIV) techniques. The fuel was injected with a swirl type injector for D.I. gasoline engines into a constant volume chamber in which ambient pressure was varied from 0.1 to 0.4 MPa at room temperature. The spray was illuminated by a laser light sheet generated by a double-pulsed Nd:YAG laser (wave length: 532 nm) and the succeeding two tomograms of the spray were taken by a high-resolution CCD camera. The 2-D and 3-D velocity distributions of the droplet cloud in the spray were calculated from these tomograms by using the PIV technique. The effects of the swirl groove flows in the injector and the ambient pressure on the structural behavior of the droplet cloud in the spray were also examined. In the vertical tomograms of the spray including the spray axis, large-scale vortices are found in the peripheries of the spray and their scales are decreased with an increase in the ambient pressure. In the horizontal tomograms of the spray normal to the spray axis, it was found that the spray did not penetrate uniformly in the radial direction, and the irregular shape of the spray periphery is supposedly related to the swirl groove flows in the injector. The PIV results show that the spray flow consists of irregular flows including forward and reverse flow areas, which are not the simple rotating bulk motion.
CitationYamakawa, M., Isshiki, S., Lee, J., and Nishida, K., "3-D PIV Analysis of Structural Behavior of D.I. Gasoline Spray," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3669, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3669.
- Hoffman, J.A. Eberhardt, E. Martin, J.K. “Comparison Between Air-Assisted and Single-Fluid Pressure Atomizers for Direct-Injection SI Engines Via Spatial and Temporal Mass Flux Measurements,” SAE, Paper 970630 1997
- Zhao, F.-Q. Yoo, J.H. Liu, Y. Lai M.-C. “Spray Dynamics of High Pressure Fuel Injectors for DI Gasoline Engines,” SAE, Paper 961925 1996
- Kume, T. Iwamoto, Y. Iida, K. Murakami, M. Akishino, K. Ando, H. “Combustion Control Technologies for Direct Injection SI Engine,” SAE, 960600 1996
- Kubo, M Sakakida, A Liyama, A. “Technique for Analyzing Swirl Injectors of Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE, Paper 2001-01-0964 2001
- Palero, V. Sato, K. Ikeda, Y. Nakajima, T. Shakal, J. “Stereoscopic Particle Image Velocimetry Evaluation in a Spray,” 8th International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray System Pasadena, CA, USA July 2000
- Ortmann, R. Arndt, S. Raimann, J. Grzeszik, R. Wöfel, G. “Methods and Analysis of Fuel Injection, Mixture Preparation and Charge Stratification in Different Direct Injected SI Engines,” SAE, Paper 2001-01-0970 2001
- Miyamoto, T. Kobayashi, T. Matsumoto Y. “Structure of Sprays from an Air-Assist Hollow-Cone Injector,” SAE, Paper 960771 1996
- Kashiwaya, M. Kosuge, T. Nakagawa, K. Okamoto, Y. “The Effect of Atomization of Fuel Injectors on Engine Performance,” SAE, Paper 900261 1990
- Nishida, M. Nakahira, T. Komori, M Tsujimura, K. Yamaguchi, I. “Observation of High Pressure Fuel Spray with Laser Light Sheet Method,” SAE, Paper 920459 1995
- Okamoto, Y Arai, N. Nakagawa, K. Kosuge, T. Atago, T. “Atomization Characteristics of Two-Stream Injector for-Valve Engine,” SAE, Paper 920705 1992
- Kim, J.S. Park, J.H. Chon, M.S. Yun, J.E. “A Study on the In-Cylinder Flow Characteristics of GDI High-Pressure Fuel Injector Using a Transparent Engine System,” Seoul 2000 FISTA World Automotive Congress June 12-15 2000 Seoul Korea
- Jang, C.S. Choi, S.M. “Comparison of the Overall Performance Between an Air-Assisted Fuel Injector and a High-Pressure Swirl Injector,” 8th International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray System Pasadena, CA, USA July 2000
- Topenot, E. Carreau, J.-L. “Effect of the Ambient Pressure on a Steady Flow Discharged from a High Pressure Swirl Injector,” 8th International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray System Pasadena, CA, USA July 2000
- Fraidl, G.K. Piock, W.F. Wirth, M. “Gasoline Direct Injection: Actual Trends and Future Strategies for Injection and Combustion Systems,” SAE, Paper 960465 1996
- Allen, J. Heath, J. Hargrave, G Wigley, G. “Comparison of the Spray Characteristics of Alternative GDI Fuel Injector Systems under Atmospheric and Elevated Pressure Operation,” The 15th International Combustion Engine Symposium (International) Seoul, Korea July 13-16 1999
- Iwakira, Y. Kakuho, A. Hiraya, K Ito, T. “Effectiveness and Issues of Various Measurement Technique used in Evaluating Spray Characteristics in a Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine,” The 15th International Combustion Engine Symposium (International) Seoul, Korea July 13-16 1999