This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Examination of Particle Size Distribution of Homogeneous and Conventional Diesel Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
This paper reports an investigation of the particle size distribution of different homogeneous Diesel combustion systems in comparison to conventional diffusion controlled combustion system. The influence of different operating parameters such as load or degree of homogeneity on the number of particles and the particle size distribution, determined with a Scanning Mobility Particle Sizer, is pointed out.
The homogeneous combustion of Diesel fuel possesses a large potential concerning NOX, soot and particle mass, but still a high number of nanoparticles is discharged.
Additional experiments are reported, which were carried out to understand the high emission of nanoparticles at low soot combustion better and to determine the chemical composition of the nanoparticles.
CitationRaatz, T. and Mueller, E., "Examination of Particle Size Distribution of Homogeneous and Conventional Diesel Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3576, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3576.
- Thring, R. H. “Homogeneous-Charge-Compression-Ignition (HCCI) Engines” SAE-Paper No. 892068 1989
- Ryan T. III, Callahan, T. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition of Diesel Fuel” SAE-Paper No. 961160 1996
- Stanglmaier, R. Roberts, C. „Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI): Benefits, Compromises and Future Engine Applications” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3682
- Christensen, M. Hultqvist, A. Johansson, B. “Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capability of a Homogeneous-Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3679
- Zillmer, Michael 1999
- Takeda, Y. Keiichi, N. Keiichi, N. “Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion with Extremely Early Staged Fuel Injection” SAE-Paper No. 961163 1996
- Shimazaki, N. Akagawa, H. Tsjimura, K. “An Experimental Study of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0181
- Suzuki, H. Koike, N. Ishii, H. Odaka, M. “Exhaust Purification of Diesel Engines by Homogeneous Charge with Compression Ignition Part 1: Experimental Investigation of Combustion and Exhaust Emission Behavior Under Pre-Mixed Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Method” SAE-Paper No. 970313 1997
- Yokota, H. Kudo, Y. Nakajima, H. Kakegawa, T. Suzuki, T. “A New Concept of Low Emission Diesel Combustion” SAE-Paper No. 970891 1997
- Yanagihara, H. Sato, Y. Mizuta, J. “A Study of DI Diesel Combustion Under Uniform Higher-Dispersed Mixture Formation” SAE-Paper No. JSAE9735853 1997
- Mase, Y. Kawashima, J. Sato, T. Eguchi, M. “Nissan's New Multivalve Dl Diesel Engine Series Nissan's New M SAE-Paper 981039 1998
- Kimura, S. Aoki, O. Ogawa, H. Muranaka, S “New Combustion Concept for Ultra-Clean and High-Efficiency Small Dl Diesel Engines” SAE-Paper No. 1999-01-3681
- Kittelson, D. Arnold, M. Watts, W. “Review Of Diesel Particulate Matter Sampling Methods” University of Minnesota 1999
- der Partikelfilterhersteller Arbeitskreis et al. Mai 2000
- Wichmann, H.-E. Mai 2000
- Mayer, A. Mai 2000
- Jaeger, L. Boulouchos, K. Mohr, M. “Analysis of Factors Influencing Particulate Matter Emissions of a Compression-Ignition Direct-Injection Engine” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3492
- Watts, W et. al. “Coordinating Research Council E-43 Project Summary” Diesel Aerosol Sampling Methodology University of Minnesota
- Model 3936 SMPS Instruction Manual TSI 2000
- Krüger, M. et al. 1997
- Baltensperger, U. Mai 2000
- Pfeifer, A. Knuth, H.-W. Miebach, R. Feuser, W. Mai 2000
- Vogt, R. Scheer, V. Rehbein, C. 2000
- Hall, D. Stradling, R. Zemroch, P. Rickeard, D. Mann, N. Heinze, P. Martini, G. Hagemann, R. Rantanen, L. Szendefi, J. “Measurement of the Number and Size Distribution of Particle Emissions from Heavy Duty Engines” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2000
- Cartus, T. Dorfer, F. Schindler, W. Reischl, G. 1999
- Kittelson, D. “Measurement of Engine Exhaust Particle Size” University of California Davis 17 02 2000
- Richter, M. Engström, J. Franke, A. Aldén, M. Hultqvist, A. Johansson, B. “The Influence of Charge Inhomogeneity on the HCCI Combustion Process” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2868
- Hultqvist, A. Christensen, M. Johansson, B. “The Application of Ceramic and Catalytic Coatings to Reduce Unburned Hydrocarbon Emissions from Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1833
- Kittelson, D. Watts. W. Johnson, J. “Particle Measurements Methodology: On-road and laboratory measurements of nanoparticles from Diesel engines” 11th CRC On-road Vehicle Emissions Workshop 2001