This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Combustion Behavior During Cold-Start and Warm-Up Process of SI Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Experiment is carried out on an engine dynamometer bench for simulating the cold-start of port-injected gasoline engines. Based on the measured temperatures and HC emissions at the inlet and outlet of the catalytic converter as well as cylinder pressure, how to achieve minimum catalytic-converter-out HC emissions prior to catalyst light-off has been discussed. In this experiment, the cold-start period is divided into three stages referred to the opening of the throttle valve. Most of the HC are emitted in the first stage, i.e. from cranking to the opening of the throttle valve. Retarding of spark timing could cause incomplete combustion in the cylinder and lead to the oxidization of the unburned HC in the exhaust manifold, which results in reductions of tail-pipe HC emissions. Incomplete combustion could also occur when throttle valve is open by setting proper spark timing. The combustion in the exhaust manifold would contribute to the reduction of HC emissions and quicken the light-off of the catalyst.
- Yong Cheng - State Key Laboratory of Automotive Safety and Energy, Tsinghua Univ.
- Jian-Xin Wang - State Key Laboratory of Automotive Safety and Energy, Tsinghua Univ.
- Ren-Jun Zhuang - State Key Laboratory of Automotive Safety and Energy, Tsinghua Univ.
- Ning Wu - State Key Laboratory of Automotive Safety and Energy, Tsinghua Univ.
CitationCheng, Y., Wang, J., Zhuang, R., and Wu, N., "Analysis of Combustion Behavior During Cold-Start and Warm-Up Process of SI Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3557, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3557.
- Carter Robert N. et al. “Laboratory Evaluation of ultra-short Metal Monolith Catalyst” SAE Paper 980672
- Henein N. A. et al. “Cycle-by-Cycle Analysis of HC Emissions During cold Start of gasoline Engines” SAE Paper 952402
- Lafyatis David S. et al. “Ambient Temperature Light-off Aftertreatment System for Meeting ULEV Emission Standards” SAE Paper 980421
- Nakayama Yukio et al. “Reduction of HC Emission from VTEC Engine During Cold-Start Condition” SAE Paper 940481
- Henein N. A. et al. “Cold-Start Hydrocarbon emissions in Port-Injected gasoline Engines” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25 1999 563 593
- Jianxin Wang et al. “A Research on Light-off Performance and Test Method of Automotive Catalytic Converter” Automotive Engineering 2000 22 1
- Kubo Shuichi et al. “Speciated Hydrocarbon Emissions of SI Engine During Cold Start and Warm-up” SAE Paper 932706