This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Functional Coating Systems on Magnesium Diecastings for Corrosion Protection and Tribological Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2002 World Congress & Exhibition Automotive and Transportation Technology Congress and Exposition
The use of magnesium diecastings for many automotive applications is mainly hindered by the lack of cost effective functional coating systems. For car body applications, e.g. no satisfying coating system is currently available matching Class A surface requirements for exterior car body components. In the first part of this paper a novel multilayer coating system is introduced containing one layer based on silicone-modified organic resins which provides excellent corrosion resistance and an improved leveling behavior. Thus the coverage of different surface defects originating from diecasting is possible without or with only minimum posttreatment like sanding and grinding. Results showing the performance of the novel coating systems in salt spray testing and VDA cyclic testing are presented. The second part of the paper focuses on the application of thermally sprayed ceramic and metallurgical coatings on magnesium substrates to provide wear resistant surfaces for tribological application. The surfaces are coated with a secondary polymer layer or thin film in order to obtain in addition a low friction coefficient under dry lubrication conditions. Experimental results of the tribological performance of these combined coating systems on different magnesium alloys are presented.
CitationGadow, R. and Scherer, D., "Functional Coating Systems on Magnesium Diecastings for Corrosion Protection and Tribological Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3445, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3445.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Materials & Manufacturing
Number: V110-5 ; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-5 ; Published: 2002-09-15
- Winandy C., „Editor's Note”, in Automotive Light Metals 1-2, pp. 9, December 2000, First Global Media Group, New Jersey, USA
- Gadow R., Gammel F.J., Lehnert F., Scherer D., Skar J.I., “Coating system for magnesium diecastings in Class A surface quality”, published in Magnesium Alloys and their Applications, Kainer K.U. (ed.), WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH, Weinheim, 2000, pp. 492-498, ISBN 3-527-30282-4
- Skar J.I., Walter M., Albright D., “Non-chromate conversion coatings for magnesium die castings”, SAE technical paper series 970324, 1997, ISSN 0148-7191
- Gehmecker H., “Chrome free pre-treatment of magnesium parts”, in Proceedings of IMA 51, May 17-19, 1994, Berlin, Germany, pp. 32-34; ISBN 0-910233-01-2
- Hawke D., AlbrightD.L., “A phosphate-permanganate conversion coating for magnesium”, Metal Finishing, October 1995, 34-38, Elsevier Science, ISSN 0026-0576
- Pawlowski L., The science and engineering of thermal spray coatings, John Wiley & Sons Ltd Chichester, 1995, ISBN 0 471 95253 2
- Gadow R., Killinger A., Scherer D., „Keramik-Polymer Kombinationsschichten”, “Ceramic Polymer Composite Coatings”, Mat.-wiss. u. Werkstofftechn. 29 (6), pp. 292-299 (1998) WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH, D-69451 Weinheim, 1998; ISBN 0933-5137
- Gadow R., Killinger A., Scherer D., „Combined coatings on light metal alloys for tribolgical applications under dry sliding conditions”, Proceedings of the 10th International Metallurgy and Materials Congress and Trade Fair, 24.-28.05.2000 Istanbul, Volume II, pp. 861-868; ISBN 975-395-382-8; ISSN 1301-3637
- Nordbakke M.W., Heutling F., Meyer M., Knotek O., “New aspects regarding sputter-depositing dense coatings, in particular a solid lubricant of practical interest”, Mat.-wiss. u. Werkstofftechn. 31, pp. 205-214 (2000), WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH, D-69451 Weinheim, 1998, ISSN 0933-5137 (in German)