This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Adhesive Bonding of Aluminium
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Degradation of adhesive bonded aluminium in corrosive environment has been investigated in terms of tensile strength as a function of pre-treatment of the surface and specimen design. The pre-treatment was found to play a major role in the degradation mechanism of adhesive bonded joints. Underfilm corrosion at the substrate/adhesive interface was observed on extruded and degreased specimen, causing degradation in the tensile strength. Etching and hot AC anodising of the aluminium surface improved the adhesion and the underfilm corrosion resistance on non-ridged specimens. The results proved that specimen design can be detrimental when it comes to underfilm corrosion susceptibility of the bonded joint.
|Technical Paper||Adhesive Bonding of Aircraft Primary Structures|
|Technical Paper||DOE Analysis of Factors Affecting Ultimate Strength of Multiple Resistance Spot Welded Joints|
|Technical Paper||Durability of Adhesively Bonded Coated Steels|
CitationNijjer*, S., Bjorgum, A., Lunder, O., and Nordlien, J., "Adhesive Bonding of Aluminium," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3444, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3444.
- Slabaugh W. H. Dejager W. Hoover S. E. Hutchinson L. L. J. Paint Tech. 44 76 83 1972
- Ruggeri R. T. Beck T. R. Corrosion 39 452 465 1983
- Leth-Olsen H. “Filiform Corrosion of Painted Aluminium Coil Materials” Department of Electrochemistry, Norwegian University of Science and Technology Trondheim, Norway 1996
- Leth-Olsen H. Nordlien J. H. Nisancioglu K. Electrochem. Soc. Letters L196 L197 1997
- Leth-Olsen H. Nisancioglu K. Corr. Sci. 40 1179 1998
- Leth-Olsen H. Nisancioglu K. Corr. Sci. 40 1195 1998
- Leth-Olsen H. Nisancioglu K. Corr. Sci. 40 2051 2063 1998
- Afseth A. “Metallurgical Control of Filiform Corrosion of Aluminium Alloys” Department of Materials Technology and Electrochemistry, Norwegian University of Science and Technology Trondheim 1999