This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Welding and Joining of Magnesium
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of magnesium in a wide range of structures is expected to increase, together with the need to join it to other materials. Laser welding may be used for magnesium-magnesium joints, but other techniques will be needed for joining magnesium alloys to other materials, notably aluminium. It is shown that, for seam joints, friction stir welding is a contender, while self-piercing rivets and clinching are promising techniques for point joints. However, much further development needs to be done both to understand joint performance and to prove their industrial applicability.
|Technical Paper||Advanced Welding Technologies for Magnesium Alloys|
|Technical Paper||Laser Beam Welding of Aluminum Alloys for Automotive Applications|
|Technical Paper||Friction Stir Welding of Aluminium-Alloys|
CitationFrance, L. and Freeman, R., "Welding and Joining of Magnesium," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3443, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3443.
- Wiemer K ‘An initial study on laser welding of magnesium alloys’ TWI Core Research Project report 644/1998 June 1998
- Thomas W M Nicholas E D Needham J C Murch M G Templesmith P Dawes C J ‘Friction Stir Butt Welding’ International patent application GB patent application 6 Dec 1991 US Patent 1991
- Lockyer S A ‘Mechanical Properties of Friction Stir Welds in Magnesium Alloys’ The Int. Conf. on Magnesium Alloys and Their Applications Munich 26-28th September 2000 The technical journal for industrial members of TWI 42 2 March April 2001
- Geary B ‘Corrosion resistant magnesium casting alloys’ Proc ‘International conference on light metals’ Amsterdam 1990 773 780 Publ ASM Materials Park OH, USA ASM 1990
- Draugelates U Bouaifi B Bartzsch J Ouaissa B ‘Properties of non vacuum electron beam welds in magnesium alloys’ ‘Magnesium alloys and their applications’ Wolfsburg, Germany 1998 601 606 Werkstoff-Informationsgesellschaft Frankfurt, Germany 1998
- Smith L S ‘Joining of magnesium alloys to dissimilar materials’ TWI Group Sponsored Project