This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Formability Improvement For TWB Using Drawbead Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years the use of tailor-welded blanks (TWB) has grown significantly, but there still exists serious concern on the poor formability in the stamping of TWB, which is commonly considered to relate to the uncertainty in the weld line movement. This paper proposes a drawbead design methodology to achieve weld line movement control. Based on the properties, geometries and frictions of base-metals constituting the TWB, the magnitudes and ratio of drawbead restraining force (DBRF) between the two sides of the base metal sheets across the weld line, which is the function of drawbead depth, can be determined for minimizing the weld-line movement and enhancing TWB formability. In the case of 2D strip drawing with TWB, lower restraining force should be used in the side of thicker base metal to reduce weld line movement. Computer simulations and experiments were conducted to verify the weld line movement control strategy and the drawbead design, and to demonstrate the formability improvement.
CitationHe, S., Wu, X., and Hu, S., "Formability Improvement For TWB Using Drawbead Design," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3091, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3091.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Materials & Manufacturing
Number: V110-5 ; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-5 ; Published: 2002-09-15
- Autosteel Partnership, 1998. http://www.asp.org/publications.html.
- Chen, F.-K., Tszeng, P.-C., An analysis of drawbead restraining force in the stamping process, International journal of machine tools & manufacture, 1998, Vol. 38, pp827-842.
- Iwata, Noritoshi, Matsui, Masao, Nakagawa, Norihiko & Ikura, Shin, Improvements in finite-element simulation for stamping and application to the forming of laser-welded blanks, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 1995, Vol. 50/1: pp335-347.
- Kim, C., Im Y., Heo, Y., Kim, N., Jun, G., Seo, D., Finite element analysis and experimental verification for drawbead drawing processes, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 1997, Vol. 72, pp188-194.
- Kinsey, B., Liu, Z., Cao, J., 1999, An apparatus and method for forming tailor-welded blanks, Society of automotive engineers, 1999-01-0681.
- Levy, B. S., Development of a predictive model for drawbead restraining force utilizing work of Nice and Wang, Journal of applied metal working, 1983, Vol. 3(1), pp38-45.
- Maker, B., Samanta, S. K., Grab, G., Triantafyllidis, N., An analysis of drawbeads in sheet metal forming: Part II -- experimental verification, Journal of engineering materials & technology, 1987, Vol. 109: pp164-170.
- Meinders, T., Carleer, B. D., Geijelaers H. J. M., Huetink, J., The implementation of an equivalent drawbead model in a finite-element code for sheet metal forming, Journal of material processing technology, 1998, Vol. 83, pp234-244.
- Nakagawa, Norihiko, Ikura, Shin, Natsumi, Fumiaki & Iwata, Noritoshi, Finite element simulation of stamping a laser-welded blank, Sheet Metal and Stamping Symposium SAE Special Publications, 1993, Vol. 944: pp189-197.
- Nine, H. D., Drawbead forces in sheet metal forming. In: Koistinen D. P., Wang N. M. (Eds.). Mechanics of sheet metal forming, Plenum Press, New York. 1978, pp. 179-211.
- Nine, H. D., New drawbead concepts for sheet metal forming, Journal of applied metal working, Vol. 2(3), 1982, pp185-192.
- Nine, H. D., The applicability of Coulomb's friction law to drawbeads in sheet metal forming. Journal of applied metal working, 1982, Vol. 2(3): pp200-210.
- Saunders, F. I. & Wagoner, R. H., Forming of tailored welded blanks, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A: Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 1996, Vol. 27A/9: 2605-2616.
- Triantafyllidis, N., Maker, B., Samanta, S. K., An analysis of drawbeads in sheet metal forming: Part I -- problem formulation, Journal of engineering materials & technology, 1986, Vol. 108: pp321-327.
- Wang, N. M., A mathematical model for drawbead forces in sheet metal forming, Journal of applied metal working, 1982, Vol. 2(3): pp193-199.
- Yellup, J. M., Painter, M. J., The prediction of strip shape and restraining force for shallow drawbead systems, Journal of applied metal working, 1985, Vol. 4(1), pp30-38.