This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
External Flow Analysis Over a Car to Study The Influence of Different Body Profiles Using CFD
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A vehicle’s performance and fuel economy plays an important role in obtaining a larger market share in the segment. This can be best achieved by optimizing the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Aerodynamics can be improved by altering the bodylines on a vehicle. Its drag coefficient can be maintained at a minimum value by properly designing various component profiles. The stability of a vehicle and Passenger comfort are affected by wind noise that is related to the aerodynamics of a vehicle. To study the effects of the above-mentioned parameters, the vehicle is tested inside a wind tunnel. In this paper, the authors study the body profile for different vehicles and analyze them using Computational Fluid Dynamics software - FLUENT. To study the influence of different body profiles on drag coefficient, 3 different vehicle segments are considered. This paper discusses the methodology followed, to test the vehicle models in a simulated environment and the physical parameters on the profiles are compared and analyzed. The author also discusses the type of algorithms used in solving the Navier-Stokes equation to obtain the results. Drag coefficient being one of the important parameters during design, is computed from the results.
CitationPatel, P. and Vijayakumar, S., "External Flow Analysis Over a Car to Study The Influence of Different Body Profiles Using CFD," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3085, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3085.
- SAEJ2084 “Volume 3 – SAE standards”
- Roy. S Srinivasan. P ”External Flow analysis of a truck for drag reduction” SAE paper 2000-01-3500
- Kobayashi. T Kitoh. K “ A Review of CFD methods and their application to Automobile Aerodynamics” SAE paper 920338 .
- Ryutaro. H Ono. K Fujitani. K Uematsu. Y, “Simultaneous Computation of the external flow around a car body and the Internal flow through its Engine compartment
- Fox. R.W Mcdonald. A.T “Introduction to Fluid Mechanics” John Wiley & Sons Inc Newyork