This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On-line Aircraft Stability Derivatives Estimation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Aircraft stability derivative estimation provides a framework for flight control systems design and improvement from their implementation to their operation lifetime. Estimating such parameters on-line has a special interest in establishing the accuracy of airborne simulations and enhancing the adaptive flight control systems. The present paper proposes an on-line estimation method based on a nonlinear flight model. The temporal axis is subdivided according to equidistant temporal landmarks, and the parameter estimation is done at the end of such subintervals with the measurements performed on the system during the corresponding subinterval. The optimization approach underlying the estimation method is based on a cyclical optimization along coordinate axes, a derivative-free technique that has shown to outperform standard derivative-free optimization algorithms. Simulations related to a modern transport aircraft demonstrate that the proposed method is an accurate stability derivative estimator for nonlinear flight models.
CitationBousson, K. and Paglione, P., "On-line Aircraft Stability Derivatives Estimation," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2982, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2982.
- Bousson K. “Efficient Global Optimization Based On Dynamic Canonical Descent” Journal Systems Science 2001
- Hansen E. Global Optimization using Interval Analysis Marcel Dekker New York 1992
- Illif K. W. “Parameter Estimation for Flight Vehicles” Journal of Guidance 12 5 609 622 Sept.–Oct 1989
- Klein V. “Estimation of Aircraft Aerodynamic Parameters From Flight Data” Progress Aerospace Science 26 1 77 1989
- Linse J.D. Stengel R.F. “Identification of Aerodynamic Coefficients using Computational Neural Networks” Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics 16 6 1018 1025 Nov.–Dec 1993
- Moore R.E. Methods and Applications of Interval Analysis SIAM Philadelphia 1979
- Morelli E.A. “Global Nonlinear Aerodynamic Modeling using Multivariate Orthogonal Functions” Journal of Aircraft 32 2 March–April 1995 270 277
- Sri-Jayantha M. Stengel R.F. “Determination of Nonlinear Aerodynamic Coefficients Using the Estimation-Before-Modeling Method” Journal of Aircraft 25 9 796 804
- Stevens B. L. Lewis F. L. Aircraft Control and Simulation Wiley and Sons, Inc 1992