This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Wing-tip Dihedral and Planform on Induced Drag
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The wing planform as well as the wing frontal shape are numerically investigated with regard to the lift-induced drag reduction. Euler computations have been performed and then post-processed with a far field analysis method for accurate drag predictions. Concerning non-planar wings, this paper provides an unusual way to examine their effects on lift-induced drag by comparing them at the same “deployed” span. Here, deployed span is to be understood as the total curved length of a non-planar wing viewed in its front plane. Far field analysis results show that non-planar wings experience some greater drag at a given lift than planar wings of the same deployed span, even after an optimization process with respect to the lift distribution. Concerning the wing planform influence and especially the crescent shape, another parametric numerical study is presented. Far field results state that moderate drag savings could be obtained with these aft swept wing-tips.
CitationBourdin, P., "Influence of Wing-tip Dihedral and Planform on Induced Drag," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2978, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2978.
- Prandtl, L., “Application of Modern Hydrodynamics to Aeronautics,” NACA Report No. 116, 1921.
- Whitcomb, R.T., “A Design Approach and Selected Wind-Tunnel Results at High Subsonic Speeds for Wing-Tip mounted Winglets,” NASA TN-D-8260, 1976.
- Spillman, J.J., “The Use of Wing Tip Sails to Reduce Vortex Drag,” Aeronautical Journal, September 1978, pp. 387–395.
- Aviation Week, December 6, 1993, pp. 49.
- La Roche, U., “Wing-Grid, a Novel Device for Reduction of Induced Drag on Wings,” ICAS 1996.
- van Dam, C. P., “Induced Drag Characteristics of Crescent-Moon-Shaped Wings,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 24, No. 2, February 1987, pp. 115–119.
- Mortara, K. W., Straussfogel, D.M., and Maughmer, M. D., “Analysis and Design of Planar and Nonplanar Wings for Induced Drag Minimization,” NASA Grant NAG-1-1198, December 1991.
- Smith, S. C., and Kroo, I. M., “Computation of Induced Drag for Elliptical and Crescent-Shaped Wings,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 30, No. 4, July–Aug. 1993, pp. 446–452.
- Ardonceau, P., “Aerodynamic Properties of Crescent Wing Planforms,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 31, No. 2, March 1993, pp. 462–465.
- Smith, S. C., “A Computational and Experimental Study of Nonlinear Aspects of Induced Drag,” NASA TR-3598, February 1996.
- Vuillot, A. M., Couaillier, V., and Liamis, N., “3D Turbomachinery Euler and Navier-Stokes Calculation with Multidomain Cell-Centered Approach,” AIAA Paper 93-2576 June–July 1993.
- Jameson, A., Schmidt, W., and Turkel, E., “Numerical Solutions of the Euler Equations by Finite Volume Methods Using Runge-Kutta Time Stepping Schemes,” AIAA Paper 81-1259, 1981.
- Hirsch, Ch., “Numerical Computation of Internal and External Flows,” vol. II, John Wiley & Sons, 1990.
- Thibert, J.J., “Prévision de la Traînée à partir des Méthodes de Calcul : Etat de l’Art en France,” AGARD-AR-256, 1989.
- Van der Vooren J., and Slooff, J.W., “CFD-based Drag Prediction: State of the Art, Theory Prospects,” NLR-TP90247-L, AIAA Technical Library, Aug. 1990.
- Destarac, D., “Far-Field Drag in Transonic Potential Flow: Analysis and Optimization,” European Forum, Bristol, September 1993.
- Schmitt V., and Destarac D., “Recent Progress in Drag Prediction and Reduction for Civil Transport Aircraft at ONERA,” AIAA Paper 98-0137, January 1998.
- Cummings, R.M., Giles, M.B., and Shrinivas, G.N., “Analysis of the Elements of Drag in Three-Dimensional Viscous and Inviscid Flows,” AIAA Paper 96-2482, 1996.
- Rizzi, A., “Computational mesh for transonic airfoils,” Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 3, VIEWEG, 1981.
- Cone, C.D., Jr., “The theory of Induced Lift and Minimum Induced Drag of Nonplanar Lifting Systems,” NASA TR R-139, 1962.
- Vanderplaats, G.N., “CONMIN, a Fortran Program for Constrained Function Minimization,” NASA TM X-62, 1973.
- Schlichting, H., and Truckenbrodt, E., “Aerodynamics of the Airplane,” McGraw Hill, New York, 1979, pp. 118–119.
- Horstmann, K.H., “Ein Mehrfach-Traglinienverfachen und seine Verwendung für Entwurf und Nachrechnung nichtplanarer Flügelanordnungen,” DFVLR-FB-87-51, 1987.
- Spreiter J.R., and Sacks, A.H., “The Rolling-up of the Trailing Vortex Sheet and its effect on the downwash behind wings,” Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences, January 1951.
- Hoerner, S.F., “Fluid Dynamic Drag,” Hoerner Fluid Dynamics, Albuquerque, NM, 1957, pp. 7–8.
- Rae, W.H., Jr., and Pope, A., “Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Testing,” Wiley, New York, 1984, pp. 376–402.
- Zimmer, H., “The Aerodynamic Optimization of Wings in the Subsonic Speed Range and the Influence of the Design of the Wing Tips,” Dr-Ing. Dissertation, Univ. of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany, 1983.
- Maskew, B., “Prediction of Subsonic Aerodynamic Characteristics- A case for Low-Order Panel Methods,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 19, No. 2, 1982, pp. 157–163.
- Anderson, J.D., “Fundamentals of Aerodynamics,” McGraw Hill, New York, 1984, pp. 261–262.