This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spatially Integrated Depiction of Dynamic Trajectories
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Synthetic vision displays often include a spatially integrated depiction of the planned path. Such a depiction is derived from a set of 3-D waypoints. In situations such as a take-off or a go-around, the optimal vertical profile depends on the energy state of the aircraft, and a precomputed path based on planned waypoints cannot be used. This paper discusses the concept of dynamic trajectories, in which some of the dimensions of the path are made a function of the actual aircraft state. Four potential applications of dynamic trajectories are discussed. The functionality required for these applications has been integrated into a prototype synthetic vision system. Initial evaluations have been performed in a fixed-based simulator.
CitationTheunissen, E. and Rademaker, R., "Spatially Integrated Depiction of Dynamic Trajectories," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2960, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2960.
- Grunwald, A.J. Robertson, J.B. Hatfield, J.J. 1980 ‘Evaluation of a Computer- Generated Perspective Tunnel Display for Flight-Path Following’ Langley, VA
- Jauer, R.A. Quinn, T.J. 1982 Pictorial Formats Volume I: Format Development
- Wickens, C.D. Haskell, I. Harte, K 1989 ‘Ergonomic Design for Perspective Flight-Path Displays’ IEEE Control Systems Magazine June 3 8
- Grunwald, A.J. 1996 ‘Improved Tunnel Display for Curved Trajectory Following: Control Considerations’ Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics 19 2 370 377
- Theunissen, E 1997 Integrated Design of a Man-Machine Interface for 4-D Navigation Delft University Press
- Lachmann, S.G. McKinstry, R.G. 1975 ‘Software Engineering of a Navigation and Guidance System for Commercial Aircraft’ AIAA Digital Avionics System Conference, paper 75-575
- Knox, C.E. 1986 ‘Flying Complex Approach Paths Using the Microwave Landing System’ Proceedings of the SAE Aerotech 65 82 Long Beach, CA
- Hess, R.A. Feedback Control Models – Models for multiloop compensatory control 1229 1232 Handbook of Human Factors 1987 Salvendy G. Wiley & Sons
- Ashkenas, I.L. Pilot Modeling Applications 1988 3-1 3-38
- Shen, S.S. Jacobsen, A.R. Hofer, E. Turner, B.L. Wiedemann, J 2000 ‘Vertical Profile Display Development’ SAE 2000-01-5613
- DeJonge, M 2000 ‘Displaying the FMS Vertical Profile’ SAE 2000-01-5615
- Theunissen, E Rademaker, R.M. 2000 Augmentation for Synthetic Vision Displays - an Energy Based Approach SAE 2000-01-5518