This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Numerical Simulation of the Effects of Lightning Current Arcs at the Attachment Point
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The damages and destructions on materials at the attachment point of an lightning arc are mainly caused by thermal effects. Pressure effects and shock waves which occur due to the high temperatures are mostly the consequence of these thermal processes. The calculation and prediction of the heating processes lead to a better understanding of the damage mechanisms. This allows the assessment and the design of materials and lightning protection components.
The paper presents calculations for different materials and a critical comparison with some laboratory measurements. Investigated materials are several metals (Cu, Al, steel) on the one hand and carbon fibre composite (CFC) on the other hand. These materials differ in their electrical and thermal material parameters and in their reactions to the lightning arc stress. It was the aim of the calculations to determine the development of temperature distribution up to critical temperatures.
|Technical Paper||Mechanism for Lightning Protection of CFC Structures Using Interwoven Wires|
|Aerospace Standard||Composite Honeycomb NDI Reference Standards|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Advanced Composites Prepreg – Nominal 250 °F Cure – Glass Fiber and Epoxy Resin, 7781 Weave Fabric|
CitationBrocke, R., Noack, F., Reichert, F., Schoenau, J. et al., "The Numerical Simulation of the Effects of Lightning Current Arcs at the Attachment Point," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2873, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2873.
- Fuchs F “Lightning current and LEMP parameter of upward discharges measured at the PEISSENBERG tower” Proc. of the 24 th Intern. Conference on Lightning Protection Birmingham 1998 17 22
- Miyake K. Suzuki T. Shinjou K. “Characteristics of Winter Lightning Current on Japan Sea Coast” IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery 7 3 July 1992 1 450 1 456
- Yokoya M. Katsuragi Y. Goda Y. Nagata Y. Asano Y. “Development of Lightning-resistant Overhead Ground Wire” IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery 9 3 July 1994 1 517 1 523
- Rakov V. Uman M. A. “Long continuing current in negative lightning ground flashes” Journal of Geophysical Research 1990 95 D5 5 455 5 470
- Schönau J. Brocke R. Noack F. “The effect of lightning flashes on rocks, sand and crystals in the ground” Proc. of the 24 th Intern. Conf. on Lightning Protection Birmingham 1998 495 500
- Gondot P. Lepetit B. Bisiaev A. Sobolevskaia H. “Lightning protection of aeronautical structural materials” Proceeding of the 23 rd International Conference on Lightning Protection Firenze 1996
- Hardwick J. Bourne N. Yoav M. “Stress wave visualisation in aluminium and CFC plates subject to simulated lightning strikes” Proceeding of the International Aerospace Lightning Conference Lightning Williamsburg 1995
- Brocke R. Noack F. Schönau J. “Stresses of parts of external lightning protection systems by the first stroke” Proc. 22 nd International Conference on Lightning Protection Budapest 1994
- Drumm F. Bäuml G. Zischank W. Brocke R. Schönau J. “Behaviour of protected composite materials exposed to lightning impulse and continuing currents” Proceeding of the 24 th International Conference on Lightning Protection Birmingham 1998 968 973
- Zischank W. J. Drumm F. Fischer R. J. Schnetzer G. H. Morris M. E. “Simulation of lightning continuing current effects on metal surfaces” Proc. 23 rd Intern. Conference on Lightning Protection Florence 1996 519 526
- Brocke R. Noack F. Reichert F. Ruales L.K. Schönau J. “The effects of long duration lightning currents and their simulation” Proceeding of the 25 th International Conference on Lightning Protection Rhodes 2000
- Drumm F. Bäuml G. Zischank W. Brocke R. Schönau J. “Temperature rise on the rear side of CFC panels due to lightning continuing currents” Proceeding of the International Aerospace Lightning Conference Lightning Toulouse 1999
- Brocke R. Schönau J. Bäuml G. Zischank W. “The stress caused to mesh protected composite materials at the attachment point of lightning arcs” Proceeding of the 25 th International Conference on Lightning Protection Rhodes 2000