This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Laser Forming of Aerospace Alloys
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Non-contact forming by application of a thermal source has been known for some time. Recently, it has been shown that much greater controllability can be introduced by replacing the thermal source with a laser. This yields a process with strong potential for application in aerospace, including the rapid manufacture of prototypes and the adjustment of misaligned components.
This paper briefly reviews the mechanisms involved in laser forming and then summarises experimental work carried out on aluminium alloys and titanium alloys that led to the development of a prototype system for the forming of 2-D sheet materials. Emphasis is placed on the process advantages, including the high accuracy (arising from the progressive nature of the process) that can be achieved in forming or adjustment of misalignment. Future work in a new collaborative programme to develop 3-D laser forming is summarised.
- R. L. Cooke - BAE Systems, Advanced Technology Centre
- J. Sidhu - BAE Systems, Advanced Technology Centre
- K. G. Watkins - Laser Group, Dept. of Eng., University of Liverpool
- S. P. Edwardson - Laser Group, Dept. of Eng., University of Liverpool
- J. Magee - Laser Group, Dept. of Eng., University of Liverpool
- G. Dearden - Laser Group, Dept. of Eng., University of Liverpool
- P. French - Laser Group, Dept. of Eng., University of Liverpool
CitationWatkins, K., Edwardson, S., Magee, J., Dearden, G. et al., "Laser Forming of Aerospace Alloys," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2610, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2610.
- Magee, J. Watkins, K. G. Steen, W. M. “Advances in Laser Forming.” Journal of Laser Applications 10 6 December 1998 235 246
- Moshaiov, A. Vorus, W “The Mechanics of the Flame Bending Process, Theory and Applications.” Journal of Ship Research 31 4 December 1987 269 281
- Vollertsen, F “Forming, Sintering and Rapid Prototyping.” Handbook of the Eurolaser Academy 2 Schuöcker D Chapman & Hall 1998 357 453
- Maher, W. et al “Laser Forming of Titanium and Other Metals is Useable Within Metallurgical Constraints.” Proceedings of ICALEO’98, Section E 1998 121 130
- Magee, J. Watkins, K. G. Steen, W. M. “Laser Bending of High Strength Alloys.” Journal of Laser Applications 10 4 1998 149 155
- Magee, J. Watkins, K. G. Steen, W. M. Cooke, R. L. Sidhu, J. “Development of an Integrated Laser Forming Demonstrator System for the Aerospace Industry.” Proceedings of ICALEO’98, Section E 1998 141 150
- Blake, R.J. et al “Laser Thermal Forming of Sheet Metal Parts Using Desktop Laser Systems.” Proceedings of ICALEO’97, Section E 1997 66 75
- Magee, J. Watkins, K. G. Steen, W. M. Calder, N. J. Sidhu, J Kirby J. “Laser Forming of Aerospace Alloys.” Proceedings of ICALEO’97, Section E 1997 156 165
- Sprenger, A Vollertsen, F Steen, W. M. Watkins, K. G. “Influence of Strain Hardening on Laser Bending.” Manufacturing Systems 24 1995 215 221
- Magee, J. Watkins, K. G. Steen, Noble F. “Microstructure of laser bent aluminium alloy Alclad 2024-T3.” Proceedings of ICALEO’98, Section E 1997 178 185
- Magee, J. Watkins, K. G. Hennige, T “Symmetrical Laser Forming.” Proceedings of ICALEO’99, Section F 1998 77 86
- Edwardson S. P. “Laser Forming Dish Shapes – A 3D Case Study.” 1999
- Vollerstsen F. “Applications of lasers for flexible shaping processes.” Proceedings of the 12 th International Congress (LASER’95) Meisenbach 1995 151 162
- Edwardson, S. P. Watkins K. G. Dearden G. Magee J. “3D Laser Forming of Saddle Shapes” Laser Assisted Net Shape Engineering, Proceedings of the LANE’2001 Erlangen, Germany 2001