This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Process Damping On Stability and Hole Form in Drilling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A dynamic model of drilling is used to study the effects of process damping on tool stability and hole form. The formulation leads to an eigenvalue problem yielding cutting speed and depth of cut combinations that produce borderline stable solutions to the equations of motion. The addition of process damping is seen to lead to the instability of low-frequency modes that resemble those found in practice.
CitationWhitehead, B., Bayly, P., and Calvert, S., "The Effect of Process Damping On Stability and Hole Form in Drilling," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2605, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2605.
- Altintas, Y. Budak, E. “Analytical prediction of stability lobes in milling,” Annals of the CIRP 44 1 357 362 1995
- Bayly, P.V. Lamar, M.T. Calvert, S.G. “Low frequency regenerative vibration and the formation of lobed holes in drilling,” ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 2001
- Bayly, P.V. Halley, J.E. Young, K.A. Calvert, S.G. “Analysis of tool oscillation and hole roundness error in a quasi-static model of reaming,” ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 2001
- Delio, T. Smith, S. Tlusty, J. Zamudio, C. “Stiffness, stability, and loss of process damping in high speed machining,” ASME Publication PED – Vol. 43: Fundamental Issues in Machining 171 191 1990
- Li, C-J. Ulsoy, A.G Endres, W.J. “The effect of tool rotation on regenerative chatter in line boring,” Han R.P.S. Lee K.H. Luo A.C.J. Dynamics, Acoustics and Simulations 235 243 1998
- Metzler, S.A. Bayly, P.V. Young, K.A. Halley, J.E. “Analysis and simulation of radial chatter in drilling and reaming,” Proceedings of ASME 17 th Biennial Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise, (CD), Paper VIB-8059 1999
- Tlusty, J. “Machine Dynamics,” Handbook of High Speed Machining Technology King R.I. Chapman and Hall 1985
- Tobias, S.A. Machine Tool Vibration Blackie and Son Glasgow 1965