This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Single-Pass Drilling of Composite/Metallic Stacks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Drill geometry specifications, per industry standards, are insufficient to control a single-pass drilling process. For close tolerance holes, those having a tolerance band of 0.003 inch, cutting tool geometry must have additional requirements defined to ensure consistency in manufacturing processes. This paper addresses key characteristics and inspection methods required to control cutting tool performance and to ensure repeatability in an aerospace manufacturing environment.
The primary intent of this paper is to raise the awareness in industry that higher quality product is required by end users.
CitationBorn, G., "Single-Pass Drilling of Composite/Metallic Stacks," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2573, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2573.
- DIN 338, Parallel Shank Twist Drills - Jobbers Series
- DIN 339, Parallel Shank Twist Drills for Use in Jig Bushes
- DIN 340, Parallel Shank Twist Drills - Long Series
- DIN 1412, Twist Drill Definitions
- DIN 1414, Twist Drills of High Speed Steel - Technical Conditions of Delivery
- DIN 6539, Continuous Parallel Shank Solid Hard Metal Twist Drills
- DIN 8037, Twist Drills with Parallel Shank with Carbide Tips for Drilling Metal
- ISO 235, Parallel Shank Jobbers, Stub Series Drills and Morse Taper Shank Drills
- ISO 494, Parallel Shank Twist Drills - Long Series
- ISO 3292, Extra Long Parallel Shank Twist Drills
- ISO 3439, Subland Twist Drills with Parallel Shank for Holes Prior to Tapping Screw Threads
- ISO 5419, Twist Drills - Terms, Definitions, and Types
- ISO 10899, High-Speed Steel Two-Flute Twist Drills - Technical Specifications
- USCTI, Metal Cutting Tool Handbook, Drill Section
- ASME B94.11M, Twist Drills
- ANSI/IPC-DR-572, Drilling Guidelines for Printed Boards
- IPC MI-660 9.1 84, Guidelines for Incoming Inspection of Printed Board Materials
- IPC-DR-570A, General Specification for 1/8 Inch Diameter Shank Carbide Drills for Printed Boards
- SAE J2122, Numbering for Single Diameter Drills
- NAS 897, Reamers, Chucking .0469 Inch Thru 1.5000 Inches
- NAS 907, Drills, High Speed Steel .0625 “ Thru 1”
- NAS 932, Drills, Threaded Hexagonal Shank Sizes #40 Thru Letter ‘F’
- NAS 937, Drills, Double Margin Stepped 1/8” Thru 12”
- NAS 965, Drills, High Speed Steel, Threaded Shank 1/16” Thru F
- AND10387, Drill Sizes and Drilled Hole Tolerances – Twist
- A-A-2519, Drill, Twist (Solid Carbide)
- Machinery’s Handbook, 23rd Revised Edition
- Hayden Twist Drill and Tool Co, Vendor Catalog, Sept. 1990.