This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Issues of the Switched Reluctance Motor Drive for Propulsion and Regenerative Braking in EV and HEV
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 20, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There is a growing interest in electric and hybrid electric vehicles (EV and HEV) due to their high efficiency and low emission. In EV and HEV, the characteristic of the traction motor is essential for the performance and efficiency of the EV and HEV. In this paper, the advantages of the extended constant power range characteristic of the traction motor for both propulsion and regenerative braking are analyzed. Simulation results are presented to verify the conclusions. Due to its several inherent advantages, especially its capability of having an extended constant power range, Switched Reluctance Motor (SRM) is proposed as the candidate of the traction motor in EV and HEV. The design methodology of SRM for achieving an extended constant power range and the control strategy of SRM for regenerative braking in EV and HEV are presented.
CitationGao, H., Gao, Y., and Ehsani, M., "Design Issues of the Switched Reluctance Motor Drive for Propulsion and Regenerative Braking in EV and HEV," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2526, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2526.
- Ehsani M. Rahman K. M. Toliyat H. A. “Propulsion System Design of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles. ” IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics 44 1 February 1997
- Rahman K. M. Fahimi B. Suresh G. Rajarathnam A. V. Ehsani M. “ Advantages of Switched Reluctance Motor Applications to EV and HEV: Design and Control Issues. ” IEEE Transaction on Industrial Applications 36 1 January February 2000
- Gao H. Gao Y. Ehsani M. “ A Neural Network Based SRM Control Strategy for Regenerative Braking in EV and HEV. ” IEEE International Electric Machine Design and Control Conference 2001 Massachusetts, Cambridge June 2001
- Gao Yimin Chen Liping Ehsani Mehrdad “ Investigation of the Effectiveness of Regenerative Braking For EV and HEV. ” SAE International SP-1466, Paper No. 1999-01-2910 August 1999
- Gao Yimin Rahman Khwaja M Ehsani Mehrdad “ Parametric Design of The Drive Train of An Electrically Peaking Hybrid (ELPH) Vehicle ” SAE International SP-1234, Paper No. 970294
- Ehsani M. Gao Y, Butler K. L. “ Application of Electrically Peaking Hybrid (ELPH) Propulsion System to a Full-Size Passenger Car with Simulated Design Verification ” IEEE Transaction On Vehicular Technology 48 6 Nov. 1999