This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Testing and Modeling of Variable Airgap Axial Flux Brushless DC Motor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 20, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the performance characterization and modeling of New Generation Motors Corporation (NGM) axial flux brushless dc motors (BDCMs) The NGM Solar Car Motor (SCM-150) was tested at different airgaps using a computer-controlled servo with position feedback. Based on the test results, an operational map was developed as a function of speed and torque range of the motor. The experimental results demonstrated that a highly efficient (>90%) operation for the entire operating envelop of the motor is possible with dynamic gap control. Detailed discussion of the test results, empirical relations between the main operating parameters of axial flux BDCM (torque, speed, airgap) and the resulting output (power output, maximum torque, power loss, maximum speed, efficiency) are described in this paper. A scalable model for the motor performance using variable airgap was developed and included in the ADVISOR model to simulate hybrid-electric sedan meeting PNGV goals.
CitationJermakian, J., Mohd, M., and Motevalli, V., "Testing and Modeling of Variable Airgap Axial Flux Brushless DC Motor," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2493, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2493.
- Hanselman D.C. ‘Brushless Permanent-Magnet Motor Design’ McGraw-Hill 1994
- Chandler P L Patterson D J ‘Counting the Losses in Very High Efficiency Machine Design - Contemporary Computer Simulation Techniques and Results Encountered in Very High Efficiency Electric Machine Design for Renewable Energy Application’ World Renewable Energy Congress Perth, Australia 10-13 February 1999
- Patterson D J ‘Recent Advances in the Design and Construction of Axial Flux Permanent Magnet Machines’ Proceedings, IEEE Aust. Summit Darwin 1996 4355 440
- Burch S. Cuddy M. Johnson V. Markel T. Rausen D. Sprik S. Wipke K. ‘ADVISOR 2.21 Documentation: Advanced Vehicle Simulator’ National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2000
- Motevalli V. Jermakian J. ‘Testing and Modeling of Variable Airgap Axial Flux Motor’ Argonne National Laboratory December 2000