This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Start Characteristics of Two Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs) - Honda Insight and Toyota Prius
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 20, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) may have key fuel economy and emissions advantages over current conventional vehicles, but they have drawbacks such as frequent engine starts that can slow down market penetration of HEVs. First, the hydrocarbon emissions due to the numerous engine starts would make newly developed HEV powertrains even more demanding on the emission control system. Second, frequent starts may make the engine deteriorate quickly. This study is an attempt to gain a better understanding of the engine start characteristics of two limited-production HEVs (Toyota Prius and Honda Insight). Using fast-response (5 ms) hydrocarbon and NO (nitric oxide) analyzers, the transient emissions were measured in the engine exhaust ports during cold and hot engine starts. On the basis of the experimental findings, several recommendations were made to improve performance and emissions of future HEVs.
|Technical Paper||Exploration of the Contribution of the Start/Stop Transients in HEV Operation and Emissions|
|Technical Paper||In-Situ Mapping and Analysis of the Toyota Prius HEV Engine|
|Technical Paper||Engine Mapping Methodology|
CitationNg, H., Anderson, J., Duoba, M., and Larsen, R., "Engine Start Characteristics of Two Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs) - Honda Insight and Toyota Prius," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2492, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2492.
- Yamamoto, S. Matsushita, K. Etoh, S. Takaya, M. “In-Line Hydrocarbon (HC) Adsorber System for Reducing Cold-Start Emissions,” SAE 2000-01-0892 2000
- Ueno, M. Akazaki, S. Yasui, Y. Iwaki, Y. “A Quick Warm-Up System during Engine Start-up Period Using Adaptive Control of Intake Air and Ignition Timing,” SAE 2000-01-0551 2000
- Kotwicki, A.J. Russell, J.D. “An Algorithm to Compensate for Air Charge Prediction Errors,” SAE 2000-01-0258 2000
- Moraal, P.E. Meyer, E.M. Cook, J.A. Rychlick, E.G. “Adaptive Transient Fuel Compensation: Implementation and Experimental Results,” SAE 2000-01-0550 2000
- Duoba, M. Ng, H.K. Larsen, R. “In-Situ Mapping and Anaysis of the Toyota Prius HEV Engine,” SAE 2000-01-3096 2000
- Duoba, M. Ng, H.K. Larsen, R. “Characterization and Comparsion of Two Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs) - Honda Insight and Toyota Prius,” SAE 2001-01-1335 2001