This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Bioregenerative Planetary Life Support Systems Test Complex (BIO-Plex): Progress to Date
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The BIO-Plex is a key component in the testing capability of NASA’s Advanced Life Support (ALS) Program. BIO-Plex will serve as a test facility capable of supporting long duration evaluations of integrated systems that produce food, purify water, regenerate oxygen, and supply clean air to human test crews. The major test facility is comprised of a set of interconnected chambers with a sealed internal environment, which will be capable of supporting test crews of four individuals for periods exceeding one year. In this tightly controlled, closed loop system, hypogravity compatible life support systems for use on planetary surfaces such as Mars or the Moon will be evaluated during long duration tests with human subjects inside the BIO-Plex at Johnson Space Center (JSC). The main focus of BIO-Plex is to provide a platform with which to integrate current and future regenerable systems technologies, test these technologies with humans in-the-loop, and ultimately maximize their efficiency, reliability, and effectiveness. The advanced technology systems to be tested will consist of both biological and physicochemical components and will perform all required crew life support functions. This paper provides a description of the proposed test “missions” to be supported by the BIO-Plex and the current status of the design and build-up of the facility.
CitationVillarreal, J. and Tri, T., "Bioregenerative Planetary Life Support Systems Test Complex (BIO-Plex): Progress to Date," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2317, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2317.
- Tri, T. O. “Bioregenerative Planetary Life Support Systems Test Complex (BIO-Plex): Test Mission Objectives and Facility Development,” SAE Paper 199-01-2186, 29 th ICES 1999
- Kirby, G. M. Tri, T. O. Smith, F. D. “Bioregenerative Planetary Life Support Systems Test Complex: Facility Description and Testing Objectives,” SAE Paper 972342 , 27 th ICES 1997
- Tri, T. O. Edeen, M. A. Henninger, D. L. “The Advanced Life Support Human-Rated Test Facility: Testbed Development and Testing to Understand Evolution to Regenerative Life Support,” SAE Paper 961592 , 26 th ICES 1996
- Tri, T. O. Henninger, D. L. “Progress on Development of the Advanced Life Support Human-Rated Test Facility,” SAE Paper 951691 , 25 th ICES 1995
- Henninger, D. L. Tri, T. O. “Controlled Ecological Life Support Systems Human-Rated Test Facility: An Overview,” SAE Paper 932241 , 23 rd ICES 1993
- July 1997
- June 1998
- Edeen, M. A. Pickering, K. D. “Biological and Physical-Chemical Life Support Systems Integration: Results of the Lunar Mars Life Support Phase III Test,” SAE Paper 981708 , 28 th ICES 1998
- Perchonok, et al “Bioregenerative Planetary Life Support Systems Test Complex (BIO-Plex) Food Processing System; A Dual Task Approach,” SAE Paper 2001-01-2321 , 30 th ICES 2001