This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Science Accommodations in the Biomass Production System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Biomass Production System (BPS) is a double middeck locker payload designed to fly on the Orbiter or Space Station. The BPS contains four plant growth chambers (PGCs) with independent control of temperature, humidity, lighting, CO2, and nutrient solution delivery, allowing for multiple experimental treatments. The BPS provides several features to support on-orbit science activities including the ability to downlink system and science data, video cameras with framegrab capability to collect images for recording plant development, access to plants to perform activities such as pollination or tissue sampling, and gas and fluid sampling ports for sampling of the plant environment. Other capabilities include the ability to conduct CO2 drawdowns, allowing photosynthetic measurements, and the ability to meter plant CO2 and water use. Several technology developments have been evaluated for possible implementation during future upgrades to enhance science capabilities.
CitationMorrow, R., Crabb, T., Iverson, J., and Frank, J., "Science Accommodations in the Biomass Production System," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2231, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2231.
- Dreschel, T.W. Brown C.S. Piastuch W.C. Hinkle C.R. Knott W.M. 1994 Porous tube plant nutrient delivery system development: A device for nutrient delivery in microgravity Adv. Space Res. 14 47 51
- Morrow, R.C. Crabb T. M. 1999 Biomass Production System (BPS) Environmental Control Subsystem Performance SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper No. 1999-01-2180
- Stutte, G.W. 2001
- Stutte, G.W. Monje O.M. Goins G.D. Ruffe L.M. 2001 Evapotranspiration and photosynthesis characteristics of two wheat cultivars measured in the Biomass Production System SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper No. 01ICES-246
- Stutte, G.W. Monje O. Goins G.D. Chapman D.K. 2000 Measurement of gas exchange characteristics of developing wheat in the Biomass Production System SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper No. 2000-01-2291
- Williams, P.H. 1997 Teachers and students investigating plants in space