This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Update on Engine Combustion Research at Sandia National Laboratories
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 14, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objectives of this paper are to describe the research efforts in diesel engine combustion at Sandia National Laboratories' Combustion Research Facility and to provide recent experimental results. We have four diesel engine experiments supported by the Department of Energy, Office of Heavy Vehicle Technologies: a one-cylinder version of a Cummins heavy-duty engine, a diesel simulation facility, a one-cylinder Caterpillar engine to evaluate combustion of alternative fuels, and a homogeneous-charge, compression-ignition (HCCI) engine. Recent experimental results of diesel combustion research will be discussed and a description will be given of our HCCI experimental program and of our HCCI modeling work.
CitationKeller, J. and Singh, G., "Update on Engine Combustion Research at Sandia National Laboratories," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2060, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2060.
- Dec, J. E. Kelly-Zion, P. “The Effects of Injection Timing and Diluent Addition on Late-Combustion Soot Burnout in a DI Diesel Engine Based on Simultaneous 2-D Imaging of OH and Soot SAE paper no. 2000-01-0238 2000
- Dec, J. E. Tree, D. R. “Diffusion-Flame/Wall Interactions in a Heavy-Duty DI Diesel Engine,” SAE paper no. 2001-01-1295 2001
- Tree, D. R. Dec. J. E. “Extinction Measurements of In-Cylinder Soot Deposition in a Heavy-Duty DI Diesel Engine,” SAE paper no. 2001-01-1296 2001
- Naber, J.D. Siebers, D.L. “Effects of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays,” Transactions of the SAE 105 82 111 SAE paper no 960034 1996
- Siebers, D.L. Higgins, B.S. “Flame Lift-Off on Direct-Injection Diesel Sprays Under Quiescent Conditions,” SAE 2001-01-0530 2001
- Higgins, B.S. Siebers D.L. “Measurement of the Flame Lift-off Location on DI Diesel Sprays Using OH Chemiluminescence,” SAE 2001-01-0918 2001
- Siebers, D.L. Higgins, B.S. “Effects of Injector Conditions on the Flame Lift-Off Length of DI Diesel Sprays,” Conference on Thermal Fluid Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines Sept. 14-15 2000
- Siebers, D.L. “Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays,” Transactions of the SAE 107 1205 1227 SAE paper 980809 1998
- Siebers, D.L. “Scaling Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays Based on Mixing-Limited Vaporization,” SAE 1999-01-0528 , (SAE paper 1999-01-0528 ) 1999
- Kalghatgi, G.T. “Lift-off Heights and Visible Flame Lengths of Vertical Turbulent Jet Diffusion Flames in Still Air,” Combustion Science and Technology 41 17 19 1984
- Mueller, C.J. Musculus, M.P. “Glow Plug Assisted Ignition and Combustion of Methanol in an Optical DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 2001-01-2004 2001
- Kee R. J. Rupley F. M. Miller J. A. Coltrin M. E. Grcar J. F. Meeks E. Moffat H. K. Lutz A. E. Dixon-Lewis G. Smooke M. D. Warnatz J. Evans G. H. Larson R. S. Mitchell R. E. Petzold L. R. Reynolds W. C. Caracotsios M. Stewart W. E. Glarborg P. Chemkin Collection, Release 3.6 Reaction Design, Inc. San Diego, CA 1999
- Kelly-Zion, P. L. Dec, J. E. “A Computational study of the Effects of Fuel-Type on Ignition Time in HCCI Engines,” 28 th International Symposium on Combustion The Combustion Institute 2000