This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of the Influence of the Injection Parameters on Combustion Noise in a Common Rail Diesel Engine Using ANOVA and Neural Networks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The influence of some injection parameters (as main injection timing, pilot injection timing, pilot injection duration) on noise emissions and combustion noise level of a Diesel engine has been evaluated. The noise emissions of an in-line, four cylinder, turbocharged FIAT 1929 cm3 TDI engine were measured using an ambient microphone and accelerometers. The injection system of the engine used was the high-pressure Common Rail system. The experimental results were elaborated using an ANOVA (analysis of variance) technique, to evaluate the influence of the control parameters on the controlled ones. Moreover, a multi-layer neural network was used to predict noise emissions and vibration level. It was found that the accelerometer mounted on the top of the engine bolt, which clamped the head of the cylinder to the crankcase, gave the best coherence of the results. The timing of the main injection influences on noise, while the influence of timing and duration of the pilot injection on noise shows different behavior for different fuel injected quantities.
|Technical Paper||Noise of Diesel Engines Under Transient Conditions|
|Technical Paper||Automotive Diesel Engine Noise and Its Control|
|Technical Paper||NVH Optimization of HMC 3.0L V6 Diesel Engine|
- Paolo Carlucci - University of Lecce, Dept. of Eng. For Innovation, Research Center for Energy and Environment (CREA)
- Antonio Ficarella - University of Lecce, Dept. of Eng. For Innovation, Research Center for Energy and Environment (CREA)
- Domenico Laforgia - University of Lecce, Dept. of Eng. For Innovation, Research Center for Energy and Environment (CREA)
CitationCarlucci, P., Ficarella, A., and Laforgia, D., "Study of the Influence of the Injection Parameters on Combustion Noise in a Common Rail Diesel Engine Using ANOVA and Neural Networks," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2011, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2011.
Experiments in Diesel Combustion, Injection, and Spray Technology
Number: SP-1630 ; Published: 2001-05-07
Number: SP-1630 ; Published: 2001-05-07
- Stumpp G., Ricco M.: “Common Rail - An Attractive Fuel Injection System for Passenger Car Diesel Engines”, SAE Paper 960870, 1996.
- Dürnholtz M., Endres H., Frisse P.: “Preinjection: A Measure to Optimize the Emission Behavior of DI-Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 940674, 1994.
- Pierpoint D.A., Montgomery D. T., Reitz R.D.: “Reducing Particulate and NOx Using Multiple Injections and EGR in a D.I. Diesel”, SAE Paper 950217, 1995.
- Nehmer D.A., ReitzR.D.: “Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injections on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Formations”, SAE Paper 940668, 1994.
- Tabuchi T., Fujitani N., Makino N.: “Recent Technology to Improve Engine Combustion Noise and Exhaust Emission by Optimizing Fuel Injection Systems”, SAE Paper 951791, 1995.
- Ficarella A., Laforgia D., LandriscinaV.: “Evaluation of Instability Phenomena in a Common Rail Injection System for High Speed Diesel Engines”, SAE Paper 1999-01-0192, 1999.
- Kaminski C., Ungleniecs R.: “Statistical Energy Analysis of noise and Vibration from an Automotive Engine”, SAE Paper 971975, 1997.
- Kohketsu S., Mori K., Kato T., Sakai K.: “Technology for Low Emission, Combustion Noise and Fuel Consumption on Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 940672, 1994.
- Villarroel G. Z., Agren A.: “Wavelet Transform Analysis of Measurements of Engine Combustion Noise”, SAE Paper 972003, 1997.
- Erlach H., Chmela F., Cartellieri W., Herzog P.: “Pressure Modulated Injection and Its Effects on Combustion and Emissions of a HD Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 952059, 1995.
- Bernard L., Blarasin A., Fontana R., Morra G., Fiorentin S. Re, Vaccarino E,: “Progettazione ed analisi degli esperimenti”, Centro Ricerche FIAT, 1990.
- Boccaletti C., Cerri G., Khatrì D. S., Seyedan B.: “An Application on Neural Network in Combustion Process Evaluation”.
- Grimaldi C. N., Mariani F.: “Prediction of engine Operational Parameters for On Board Diagnostics Using a Free Model Technology”, SAE Paper 1999-01-1224.
- Cammarata G., Cavalieri A., Fichera F.: “A Neural Network Architecture for Noise Prediction”, Neural Network, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 963-973, 1995.
- Arsie I., Marotta F., Pianese C., Rizzo G.: “Sviluppo di modelli a rete neurale con metodi di active learning per motori automobilstici ad accensione comandata”, Proceedings of ATI 2000, Bari-Matera (Italia), 15-20 Sept. 2000.