This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient Temperature Measurement of Gas Using Fiber Optic Heterodyne Interferometry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A fiber optical heterodyne interferometry system was developed to obtain high temporal resolution temperature histories of unburned and burned gases non-intrusively. The effective optical path length of the test beam changes with the gas density and corresponding changes of the refractive index. Therefore, the temperature history of the gas can be determined from the pressure and phase shift of the interference signal. The resolution of the temperature measurement is approximately 0.5 K, and is dependent upon both the sampling clock speed of the A/D converter and the length of the test section. A polarization-preserving fiber is used to deliver the test beam to and from the test section, to improve the feasibility of the system as a sensor probe. This optical heterodyne interferometry system may also be used for other applications that require gas density and pressure measurements with a fast response time, or a transient temperature record.
CitationKawahara, N., Tomita, E., and Kamakura, H., "Transient Temperature Measurement of Gas Using Fiber Optic Heterodyne Interferometry," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1922, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1922.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V110-4 ; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-4 ; Published: 2002-09-15
- Heywood, J.B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, Inc., (1988).
- Pilling, M.J., Low-Temperature Combustion and Autoignition, Elsevier Science., (1997).
- Thring, R.H., Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines, SAE Paper 892068, (1989).
- Chen, S.K., Beck, N.J., Uyehara, O.A., and Myers, P., Compression and End-Gas Temperature from Iodine Absorption Spectra, SAE Trans., 62, pp. 503-513, (1954).
- Agnew, W.G., End Gas Temperature Measurement by Two-Wavelength Infrared Radiation Method, SAE Trans, 68, pp. 495-513, (1960).
- Burrows, M.C., Shimizu, S., Myers, P.S., and Uyehara, O.A., The Measurement of Unburned Gas Temperature in an Engine by an Infrared pyrometer, SAE Trans., 66, pp. 514-528, (1961).
- Livengood, J.C., Taylor, C.F., and Wu, P.C., Measurement of Gas Temperature in an Engine by Velocity of Sound Method, SAE Trans, 66, pp. 683-699, (1958).
- Gluckstein, M.E., and Walcutt, C., End-gas Temperature-pressure histories and their relation to knock, SAE Trans., 69, pp. 529-531, (1961).
- Chiger, N., Combustion Measurements, Hemisphere Publishing Corp., (1991).
- Durao, D.F.G., et al., Combusting Flow Diagnostics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, (1992).
- Eckbreth, A.C., Laser Diagnostics for Combustion Temperature and Species, 2nd Ed., Gordon and Breach Publishers, (1996).
- Schulz, C., Sick, V., Wolfrum, J., Drewes, V., Zahn, M., and Maly, R., Quantitative 2D Single-Shot Imaging of NO Concentrations and Temperatures in a Transparent SI Engine, 26th Symp. (Int.) on Comb., The Combustion Institute, Pittsburgh, pp. 2597-2604, (1996).
- Lucht, R.P., Teets, R.E., Green, R.M., Palmer, R.E., and Ferguson, C.R., Unburned Gas Temperature in an Internal Combustion Engine. I: CARS Temperature Measurements, Combust. Sci. and Technol., 55, 41, (1987)
- Bood, J., Bengtsson, P-E., Mauss, F., Burgdorf, K., and Denbratt, I., Knock in Spark-ignition Engines: End-gas Temperature Measurements using Rotational CARS and Detailed Kinetic calculations of the autoignition process, SAE paper 971669, (1997).
- Nakada, T, Ito, T., and Takagi, Y., Unburnt Gas Temperature Measurements Using Single Shot CARS in a Spark Ignition Engine, Proc. of Int. Symp. on COMODIA 90, pp. 393-399, (1990)
- Akihama, K., Asai, T., Kubo, S., Nakano, M., Yamazaki, S., and Iguchi, S., Unburned Gas Temperature Measurements by CARS in a Spark-Ignition Engine, (in Japanese), The 10th Internal Comb. Engine Symp. in Japan, pp. 283-288, (1992).
- Goldstein, R.J., Fluid Mechanics Measurements, Hemisphere Publishing Corp., (1983).
- Fomin, N.A., Speckle Photography for Fluid Mechanics Measurements, Springer-Verlag., (1998).
- Garforth, A.M., Unburnt Gas Density Measurements in a Spherical Combustion Bomb by Infinite-fringe Laser Interferometry, Combust. and Flame, 26, pp. 343-352, (1976).
- Hamamoto, Y., Tomita, E., and Okada, T., The Measurement of the Transient Temperature of Gas by Laser Interferometry, JSME Int. J., Ser. II, 32-2, pp. 247-251, (1989).
- Achasov, O., Fomin, N., Penyazkov, O., Oznobishin, A., and Fisson, F., Interferometric study of combustion in a spark eginition engine, Proc. of the Int. Symp. on Internal Comb. Engines, KONES'93, pp. 553-562, (1993).
- Hamamoto, Y., Tomita, E., and Jiang, D., Temperature Measurement of End Gas under Knocking Condition in a Spark-Ignition Engine by Laser Interferometry, JSAE Review, 15-2, pp. 117-122, (1994).
- Tomita, E., Hamamoto, Y., and Jiang, D., Temperature and Pressure Histories of End Gas under Knocking Condition in a S.I. Engine, Proc. of Int. Symp. on COMODIA 94, pp. 183-188, (1994).
- Tomita, E., Hamamoto, Y., and Jiang, D., Measurement of Temperature History of Unburned Gas Before Knocking in a Spark-Ignition Engine Using Laser Interferometry, Meas. Sci. Technol., 11-6, pp. 587-593, (2000).
- Kawahara, N., Tomita, E., and Kamakura, H., Transient Temperature Measurement of Unburned Gas Using Optic Heterodyne Interferometry, 10th Int. Symp. on Appl. of Laser Meas. on Fluid Mech., in CD-rom, (2000).
- Gardiner, W.C.Jr, Hidaka, Y., and Tanzawa, T., Refractivity of Combustion Gases, Combust. and Flame, 40, pp. 213-219, (1980).
- Hamamoto, Y., Tomita, E., Yamanaka, M., Kataoka, M., Heat Transfer to the Wall of End Gas Side during Propagation of Premixed Flame in a Closed Vessel, JSME Int. Journal, B, 39-4, pp.836-843, (1996).
- Van Wylen, G. J., Sonntag, R. E., and Borgnakke, C., Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics 4th Edn., New York: Willy, p.251, (1994).