This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparison of Ion Current Based Algorithms for Peak Pressure Position Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Combustion timing control of SI engines can be improved by feedback of the peak pressure position (PPP). However, pressure sensors are costly, and therefore, nonintrusive and cheap ion-current ‘soft sensors’ have been suggested. Three different algorithms have been proposed that extract information about PPP from the ion current signal. In this paper, these approaches are compared with respect to accuracy, operational range, implementation aspects, as well as sensitivity to engine load and inlet air humidity.
CitationHellring, M. and Holmberg, U., "A Comparison of Ion Current Based Algorithms for Peak Pressure Position Control," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1920, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1920.
- Eriksson L. Nielssen L. Nytomt J. Ignition control by ionization current interpretation Technical paper 960045 , Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1996
- Hellring M. R¨ognvaldsson T. Wickstr¨om N. Larsson M. Ion current based pressure peak detection under different air humidity conditions Advanced Microsystems for Automotive Applications 2000 125 138 2000
- Hellring M. Holmberg U. An ion current based peakfinding algorithm for pressure peak position estimation SAE International Fall Fuel & Lubricants Meeting & Exposition Baltimore, Maryland USA 2000
- Hubbard M. Dobson P. D. Powell J. D. Closed loop control of spark advance using a cylinder pressure sensor Transactions of the ASME: Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurements, and Control 414 420 December 1976
- Eriksson L. Increasing the efficiency of SI-engines by spark advance control and water injection Department of Electrical Engineering, Link¨oping University Link¨oping, Sweden 1997
- Saitzkoff A. Reinmann R. Berglind T. Glavmo M. An ionization equilibrium analysis of the spark plug as an ionization sensor Technical paper 960337 , Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1996
- Saitzkoff A. Reinmann R. Mauss F. Glavmo M. In-cylinder pressure measurements using the spark plug as an ionization sensor Technical paper 970857 , Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1997
- Haykin S. Neural Networks - A Comprehensive Foundation IEEE Press 1994
- Eriksson L. Spark Advance Modeling and Control Link¨oping University 1999 Link¨oping Studies in Science and Technology 580