This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SUBJECTIVE ASSESSMENT & OBJECTIVE MEASUREMENT OF HANDLING MANOEUVRES IN TWO-WHEELED VEHICLES
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reviews an approach to make the assessment of a two-wheeled vehicle's handling characteristics objective. The traditional approach to the development of good handling properties is based on the subjective evaluations of skilled test drivers. The object of this study is to define semi-empirical mutual relations which are able to associate a Handling Quality Index (HQI) with a combination of determinate mechanical quantities obtained experimentally.
In essence the methodology used to describe behaviour such as handling in terms of sensory perception, has relied on a comparison of opinions provided by test-drivers and the result of experimental data pertaining to mechanical quantities such as forces, displacements, torques and rotations measured during standard manoeuvres considered significant. In order to get this correlation, the Genetic Algorithm technique was used as optimization method.
The importance of this standardized method for evaluating vehicle's handling behaviour is that it allows to investigate the effects of particular vehicle design features and it is suitable for computer simulation.
CitationArcidiacono, G., Capitani, R., and Hippoliti, R., "SUBJECTIVE ASSESSMENT & OBJECTIVE MEASUREMENT OF HANDLING MANOEUVRES IN TWO-WHEELED VEHICLES," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1876, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1876.
- Da Lio M. 1997 ATA Ingegneria automobilistica 50 1-2
- Cossalter V. Da Lio M. Biral F. Fabbri L. 1998 “Evaluation of Motorcycle Manoeuvrability with the Optimal Manoeuvre Method” SAE meeting; Motorsports Engineering Conference & Exposition Dearborn, Michigan
- Crolla D.A Chen D.C. 1998 “Vehicle handling behaviour: subjective v. objective comparisons” Fisita F98T210 Parigi
- Hill R. 1987 “Correlation of Subjective Evaluation and Objective Measurement of Vehicle Handling” EAEC Strasbourg
- Matsushita Akifumi Takanami Katsuji Takeda Nobuyoshi Takahashi Masaru 1980 “Subjective Evaluation and Vehicle Behaviour in Lane Change Maneuvers” SAE paper 800845 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Beato M. De Crescenzio F. Volpe A. 1999 “Bench Testing of vehicle dynamic behaviour driving through a subsidence manoeuvre” ATA Ingegneria automobilistica 99A4097 Firenze
- Ellis J. R. 1994 “Vehicle handling dynamics Mechanical” Engineering Publications London
- Kageyama “On a testing method for two wheeled vehicle handling” College of industrial technology, Nihon University Japan
- Wonnacott TH. Wonnacott R.J. 1995
- Goldberg D. E. 1989 “Genetic Algorithms in search, optimization and machine learning” Addison-Wesley