This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Engine Parameters on ATAC Behaviour in a G.D.I. Two-Stroke Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In two-stroke S.I. engines, direct fuel injection allows avoiding fuel loss from the exhaust port, since the cylinder is scavenged only with air.
However, only if injection produces charge stratification, also combustion difficulties at light loads, due to the excessive presence of residual in the cylinder, can be removed. An alternative solution for this problem is ATAC (Active Thermo Atmosphere Combustion), which turns the effect of residual gas from negative to positive, since its thermal energy is used to prime the combustion of fresh gas. ATAC leads to very good combustion stability with small cycle-to-cycle variation and to good fuel economy and low exhaust emissions of unburned hydrocarbons.
This paper deals with ATAC combined with direct fuel injection, both of the air-assisted medium-pressure type and of the liquid high-pressure type. In the case of liquid injection, also ATAC dependence on relevant parameters, such as injection timing, injection pressure and exhaust timing has been investigated, with the intent of expanding ATAC existence field towards the lowest speeds and loads, as it is required for an appropriate application of this unconventional combustion to production engines.
|Technical Paper||Emission and Fuel Consumption Reduction in a Two-Stroke Engine Using Delayed-Charging|
|Technical Paper||CFD Study of an LPG DI SI Engine for Heavy Duty Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||The Diesel as a High-Output Engine for Aircraft|
CitationGentili, R., Frigo, S., Cozzolino, F., and Zanforlin, S., "Influence of Engine Parameters on ATAC Behaviour in a G.D.I. Two-Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1858, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1858.
- Onishi S. Hong Jo S. Shoda K. Do Jo P. Kato S. “Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (A.T.A.C.) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines” SAE Paper 790501 1979
- Noguchi M. Tanaka Y. Tanaka T. Takeuchi Y. “A Study on Gasoline Engine Combustion by Observation of Intermediate Reactive Products during Combustion” SAE Paper 790840 1979
- Lida N. “Combustion Analysis of Methanol-Fueled Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (A.T.A.C.) Engine Using a Spectroscopic Observation” SAE Paper 940684 1994
- Ishibashi Y. Tsushima Y. “A Trial for Stabilizing Combustion in Two-Stroke Engines at Part Throttle Operation” Pro. Int. Seminar “A New Generation of Two-Stroke Engines for the Future?” Rueil-Malmaison (France) 1993
- Gentili R. Frigo S. Zanforlin S. Cozzolino F. “Two-Stroke GDI: Improvement of Engine Behaviour at Light Loads” Pro. Int. Conf. ICE2001 Capri (Italy) 2001
- Duret P. Venturi S. “Automotive Calibration of the IAPAC Fluid Dynamically Controlled Two-Stroke Combustion Process” SAE Paper 960363 1996
- Ishibashi Y. Asai M. “A Low Pressure Pneumatic Direct Injection Two-Stroke Engine by Activated Radical Combustion Concept” SAE Paper 980757 1998
- Gentili R. Frigo S. “ATAC and GDI in a Small Two-Stroke Engine” Pro. Int. Conf. SETC 99 Madison, Wisconsin 1999 SAE Paper 1999-01-3273
- Gentili R. Frigo S. “Further Insight on ATAC and GDI Combination in Two-Stroke Engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-0897
- Gentili R. Frigo S. Tognotti L. Habert P. Lavy J. “Experimental Study on ATAC (Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion) in a Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine” SAE Transaction 970363 & vol. SP 1254 1997
- Lida N. “A Study of Autoignition and Combustion in Two-Stroke ATAC Engine - Compression Ignition Characteristics of Low Carbon Alternative Fuels” “Pro. Int. Conf. SETC 99 Madison, Wisconsin 1999 SAE Paper 1999-01-3274
- Corcione F. E. Rotondi R. Gentili R. Migliaccio M. “Modeling the Mixture Formation in a Small Directed-Injected Two-Stroke Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 970364
- Gentili R. Frigo S. Tognotti L. “Development of a Pumpless Air Assisted Injection System for Two-Cycle, S.I. Engines” SAE Transaction 940397 1994
- Monnier G. Duret P. Pardini R. Nuti M. “IAPAC Two-Stroke Engine for High Efficiency Low Emissions Scooters” Pro. Int. Conf. SETC 93 Pisa (Italy) 1993
- Gentili R. Batoni G. Di Gandi I. “Motore Sperimentale a Due Tempi ad Accensione Comandata ed Iniezione Pneumatica” ATA 37 1 January 1984
- Leighton S. Ahern S. “The Orbital Small Engine Fuel Injection System (SEFIS) for Direct Injected Two Stroke Cycle Engines” 5th Graz Two Wheeler Symposium Graz (Astria) 1993