This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
DI Two Stroke Engine Catalyst Development for 2 wheelers application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
New legislation on two wheelers pollutant emissions has forced two stroke engine manufacturers to study the DI technology. Piaggio scooter ET2 Injection is the first two wheelers engine in mass production, using a Direct Injection two stroke 50 cc engine. This DI engine, using the FAST system, strongly decreases the pollutant emissions and increases the engine efficiency.
Piaggio was the co-ordinator of the DOLCE project (Development Of innovative Low pollutant, low noise, low fuel Consumption two stroke spark ignition Engines for future vehicles for individual urban mobility) supported by the European Commission where ROSI and IFP have worked together on the optimisation of the catalyst system design of this engine. This project has been completed in 2000.
For a such a DI 2 stroke engine, exhaust gas can be very lean. To optimise the catalyst after treatment, several catalyst precious metal (PM) loads and configurations (size, density,…) have been tested on a Piaggio 125 cc FAST engine, set up on a dyno test bench where it was possible to reproduce equivalent R40 ECE driving conditions.
Influence of hot tubes or coated wall on the catalyst efficiency and on the catalyst temperature has been investigated.
The main work has been focused on HC and CO efficiency but the catalytic behaviour for NOx has also been investigated, DI 2 stroke engines producing more NOx than carburetted engines.
CitationDABADIE, J., LAVY, J., FAVENNEC, J., and DUBUS, M., "DI Two Stroke Engine Catalyst Development for 2 wheelers application," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1847, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1847.
- DABADIE JC DURET P. VENTURI S. SCIP: a New Simplified Camless IAPAC Direct Injection for Low Emission Small Two Stroke Engine SAE 972078
- SMITH D. AHERN S. The Low Emission Orbital Combustion Process (OCP) Two Stroke Engine ATA May 94
- STAN C. LEFEBVRE J.L. Development of a Direct Injection Concept for Two Wheelers Equipped with Two Stroke Engines SAE 991248
- NUTI M. PARDINI R. CAPONI D. FAST Injection System: PIAGGI0 Solution for ULEV 2T SI Engine SAE 970362
- NUTI M. CAPONI D. The Limit of Development of Two Stroke S.I. Engine for Small « Environmentally Friend » Commuting Vehicles SAE 98A7007
- NUTI M. CAPONI D. The Development of a Propulsive Unit for a Friendly Individual Commuting Vehicle SAE 991246
- MONNIER G. DURET P. PARDINI R. NUTI M. IAPAC Two Stroke Engine for High Efficiency Low Emissions Scooters 3 rd SETC conference December 1993 Pisa (Italy) 71 80
- CASTAGNA F. MARTIN B. DURAND D FAVENNEC J. Influence of various parameters on the performances of catalysis for Two-Stroke Engines SETC 1997 SAE 972144