This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
MUTAGENICITY AND PAH:S OF PARTICULATE EMISSIONS OF TWO-STROKE CHAINSAW ENGINES
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Particulate emissions of a two-stroke chainsaw engine were collected under controlled conditions in a test bench using a dilution tunnel for sampling. Two different types of gasolines and lubricating oils and the effect of exhaust after-treatment catalyst were studied. Particulate bound PAH:s and mutagenicity of the collected samples were determined.
The particulates were found to originate mainly from the lubricating oil. There was a good correlation between the particulate bound PAH:s and the mutagenicity of the soluble organic fraction of the particulates. The amount of SOF was > 95% and originated mainly from lubricating oil. The catalyst performed more effectively with totally non-aromatic gasoline and synthetic lubricating oil than with reformulated gasoline with aromatics < 35 vol-% and mineral oil based lubricating oil. Using MTBE as an oxygenate in non-aromatic, special small engine gasoline reduced the PAH emissions and mutagenicity significantly even without the catalyst and the catalyst reduced the emissions even further.
CitationLaanti, S., Sorvari, J., Elonen, E., and Pitkänen, M., "MUTAGENICITY AND PAH:S OF PARTICULATE EMISSIONS OF TWO-STROKE CHAINSAW ENGINES," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1825, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1825.
- Pitkänen, M Torkkell, K. Jäntti, A. Laanti, S. Lapinlampi, T. Elonen, E. Cutting the Noxious Emissions in 2-stroke Engines SAE 2001 Fall Fuels and Lubricants Meeting & Exposition September 24-27, 2001 San Antonio, Texas.
- Lapinlampi, T. Rajala, J. Mäkelä, M. Anttonen, H. Effect of Fuel and Catalyst on Exposure of Forest Workers on Exhaust Emissions in Real Working Conditions Institute of Occupational Health Oulu 2001 31
- Antikainen, E. Effect of Catalytic Converter, Fuel Mixture and Lambda Value on Mass Emissions, Size Distribution, Volatility and OC/EC-ratio of the Particles in Two-Stroke Engine Exhaust Env. Sci. and Tech. 2001
- Ames, B. Mccann, J. Yamasaki, E. Methods for Detecting Carcinogens and Mutagens with the Salmonella / Mammalian-Microsome Mutagenicity Test Biochemistry Department University of California Berkeley 1984
- Magnusson, R. Nilsson, C. Andersson K. Andersson, B. Gierling, R. Wiberg, K. Östman, C. Rannug, U. Determination of Chemical Composition and Mutagenicity in Particles from Chainsaw Exhaust Experimental Set-up, Stability and Results from two Different Fuels, Env. Tech. 21 2000 819 829
- Kivi, J. Kokko, J. Aakko, P. Kytö, M. The First Reformulated Gasoline in Europe SAE Paper No. 952501 1995
- Kivi, J. Rautiola, A. Kokko, J. Pentikäinen, J. Aakko, P. Kytö, M. Lappi, M. Use of TAME and Heavier Ethers (NExTAME) as Gasoline Reformulation Components SAE Paper No. 971724 1997
- Kokko, J. Rantanen, L. Pentikäinen, J. Honkanen, T. Aakko, P. Lappi, M. Reduced Particulate Emissions with Reformulated Gasoline SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2017 2000
- Antikainen, E. The Effect of a Catalytic Converter in Two-Stroke Engine Particulate Emissions 120 Department of Civil Engineering University of Oulu 2000 120